Winter Makinaw? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter Makinaw?

TidalCast
11-07-2003, 10:20 PM
I was talking with a friend today about a lake that we both fish in the early spring for Makinaw (Lake Trout). Due to the cold spell we are having up here and the fact that the surface temp has dropped into the low 40s, i am thinking about making a trip out there maybe next week. I've never fished this lake in the early winter. Would they be shallow enough to take on a fly? I've never had trouble finding them in the early spring just after ice-out. Are there any Makinaw experts around here to chime in?

John Desjardins
11-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Anyone out there have Lake trout experience?

FrenchCreek
11-11-2003, 12:29 AM
There are a few lakes around with Lakers/AKA-Makinaw.
Ice off experience seems OK so I'll focus on late fall.
Lakers tend to go back to shallow water in the fall, llok for stream inlets as a prefererred location, don't know why? but it seems to be the better place in the fall. Most succesfull pattern for me has been a bead head minnow pattern. Something like a Black Nose dace with a white bucktail wing and white/grey marabou tail, I'll post a pic later.
Other good producers are small ( 1 inch) leech patterns and the perenial classic tie of the Black Nose Dace, Mickey Finn and Silver/or Golden darter. Silver in bright sun and Gold on overcast days. Type 5 or 6 sink rate sink tips (15 to 25 ft long) or full sink lines get my best results. Most hook ups are at the 10 to 15 fott depth, quite shallow if you are a laker!]
Learned this tactic back east in Quebec & Ontario, also works out west.

Hope this helps.