tomd
11-05-2003, 12:20 AM
anyone do any cod fishing here?

bcasey
11-05-2003, 06:43 AM
Not easy to get the flies down that deep !:hehe:

JimW
11-05-2003, 06:46 AM
Tom, I've given it a shot and I know the Mike and Gregg Estey were nailing them last winter. The boat is going into hibernation this weekend so I won't be out until April.

BTW - You can tie up some blue and white teasers, at times they out perform the white rubber grubs. There, it's fly fishing:hehe:

OC
11-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Not sure you could get any on the fly rod but winter Cod do abound close to shore throughout Quincy Bay from Wollaston to Weymouth and over to Hull Gut.

If you don't have a boat for winter fishing just take out your marine charts and find points that have deep holes just off one side or another. Fish those points at low tide for two reasons, one, the cod hold there at low tide, at a higher tide they wander looking for food. Two, at low tide you can walk out on the point and get very close to the deeper holes and make the cast with a surf rod easily to deep water.

Fishing cod in winter is a great way to explore the shoreline looking for new structure and small bars for your summer striper fishing. There is also something wonderful about winter time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in New England. The bays are quiet no pleasure boats out, the ducks are everywhere and you don't have to worry about missing the Red Soxs game on the tube. And fresh air , all you want!

Most of the Cod are small, around 2 to 4 or 5 pounds but I remember a 17 pounder one afternoon that was classic New England Cod with the beautiful brown colors and a small head, she was a very pretty and a tasty fish indeed.

Roop
11-05-2003, 09:34 AM
The best rod for the job can be found at: http://www.cndspey.com/index.htm ;)

Actually it's quite easy, for my daughters, they have caught them on Storm shads while drifting High Pines. When I bought the gear to target them specifically - all I got were dogs...

Email me if you want come company.

Roop

timwatts
11-05-2003, 10:19 AM
I have done well in the fall and winter out of Green Harbor. More often than not you can find fish close to shore (within 2 to ten miles). Out behind Farnham Bell, the H bouy and over towards High Pines off Plymouth. Sometimes you have to do a bit of drifting to locate them. I like to bring along a small bouy with a line and a weight to drop when I hit fish. This makes it easier to get back into them after a drift. It's a great way to spend a winter day.

Tim

juro
11-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Cod is a fish I love to fish for, but not with a fly! Halibut are another... up to 32 oz. lead balls on spreader bars with foot long horse herring on 10/0 hooks and a 4/0 Penn winch in 60 fathoms of cold pacific. Fun fishing but the best part is when it hits the plate :)

OC
11-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Juro,
I'm sure that your new rods could reach the honey holes where winter cod hangout but you may need striblue to develope a "Sea Clam Special" fly. I would also hate the idea of replacing the heavy sinktip that would be needed every time it gets hung up on the mussel beds that surrounds the Cod fish hangouts.

It really is nice to bring a cold water Cod home for dinner. The other fish that used to abound around this time of year was the Pollock. As a kid they were really big and lots of them, they traveled in large schools and hit every lure you threw at them. The bigger ones weighed in over 3 pounds with some much bigger. Do they still exist out there?

juro
11-05-2003, 02:54 PM
A few years back during the pea bunker push on the north shore there were reports of big pollock in tight to shore eating bait. When I was a teen we used to find lots of pollock in the fall off Gloucester Light, not sure what the current situation is with the fake crab fishery being primarily pollock and the popularity of California rolls in sushi shops across America.

mikez
11-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Many years ago [1987?], a buddy and I went through a whole flat of sandworms from the bank at the mouth of the Merrimac. Besides a few schoolies, some flounder, skates, eels etc, we caught about a dozen small codfish from 16 - 18 inches. I believe there were legal at the time, at least I hope so! :o The time was early May, at night, in coming tide. These fish were a short cast from shore. I've often thought they would have been reachable from shore with a lure or even fly.
Since that time, I have never known of a cod caught from shore at that time of year. Of course, there's about 100 times more stripers than there were then. I doubt a cod could hit your bait before a schoolie ate it!

This past April, I was lucky enough to get out to Jeffries ledge in a small private boat on a calm day. The cod fishing was non-stop! It was like fishing for sunnies with worms. Every drop a fish in seconds. At least half were keepers. The real treat though was several 24 inch haddock, a fish I had never caught but love to eat. The haddock were better fighters too!

Stevo
11-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Bit of a sore point over here in the UK!
Cod are at an all time low (due to over zealous commercial interest) Also as someone else pointed out, you'd need to wait a week for the lead-core to get down to them!:p

juro
11-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Maybe we should have a cod clave? :D

Once we know they're around in close, go out and jig up a bunch. Fillet them up, have ourselves a world class fish and chips party, bring a little fillet home for the families.

Have prizes for:

- biggest cod
- smallet cod
- first cod on a FLY :hehe:
- last one to puke

Anyone interested? Easy for me to say... I got no boat :rolleyes: :D

Stevo-

Sorry to hear about the situation over there...

tomd
11-05-2003, 10:14 PM
well I'm not sure I can get away anytime soon, but a cod fish/fry clave sounds tasty to me :D