Burrowing Sand Eel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Burrowing Sand Eel

striblue
11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
From the surface we go to the very bottom. This is a burrowing sand eel. I have tied these without mylar but did not like the action. This is on a short #2 Varivas. The head is weighted and epoxied and the body is pearl stiff mylar tubing... to remain in upright position but the last 1/3 of the fly is pearl flashabou and 3 strands of long olive hackle for movement. The hackle is also inside the mylar. Needless to say.. this must be stripped VERY slow. The idea for a burrowing sandeel..but without the mylar... I got from Derrek Spangler up at First Light.

BigDave
11-04-2003, 11:18 AM
John,

Nice work with the tubing. Ultra-realistic!

Smcdermott
11-04-2003, 01:13 PM
John,

Nice looking fly. Similar to Skok's Diving Sand eel. Have you fished this pattern before? Just curious if the stiff tubing beyond the bend would impair hook setting. I believe Bob P has talked to that point in regards to epoxy in his book.

Sean

Adrian
11-04-2003, 02:30 PM
I have a similar concept but using a single yellow dyed grizzly hackle tied well 'round the bend so it stands upright and undulates in the current. Fished "static" its picked up fish when any other movement resulted in refusals or rapid departure. I've not tried it out in the stronger Monomoy currents yet . Would probably require a HiD line to hold everything on the bottom - hmmm roll on next season - more experimentation ......

It is hard to sight a good sized fish, make the half decent cast cast and then stop yourself from retrieving ( the expression coitus interuptus springs to mind :eyecrazy: ) but the results can be rewarding :D

striblue
11-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Sean..I had thought of the ridgity issue...but the mylar is very flexable and twists easy...but we will have to see... I would use this sight fishing rather than blind casting...but my casts better be good!

FishHawk
11-06-2003, 04:55 AM
Interesting . FishHawk

MarkS
11-06-2003, 10:02 AM
John,

How do you get the tubing voer the point of the hook. I've had some trouble trying to thread the point into and then out of the side of the tubing and have ended up cutting a small slot in the mylar tube. Am I just picking the wrong size of tubing or is there some trick to this that you are willing to share?

mark

FredA
11-06-2003, 11:00 AM
I know where that will work! I like Adrians idea with maybe a chartrues grizzly's I've been using for half & halfs and tied in flat on deep eels with some success. How about a tungtsen conehead with the materials tied on the interior bend side except for the feather or maybe tungsten on a semi bendback hook with everything on top. We'll call it the Peckerhead because it leaves pecker tracks in the sand.

striblue
11-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Fred... your Brillant!!!!!!!!! I love the name PECKERHEAD! Fred. the tugston sounds good..but if I change this I will put a bigger clouser eye... because I want it to stay relatively upright, kick up a little sand on an agonizingly slow strip. With the conehead, I think the fly will have a tendency to roll...but the configuration of up and down and the cone MAY still keep it upright... we shall see.

Mark... It is hard... what I do is compress the tube mylar from end to end which increases the diameter and just slide it over the hook end... But better still is with it compressed ,just slide it over the hook eye. Mark the spot where you want the hook to come out with a marker...BEFORE you slip it over by just measuring where you want it to come though. I hope that helps...

FredA
11-08-2003, 01:29 PM
http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/steve_farrar/saltwater_flies_steve_sandellejiggy.htm

I was looking around SOL for info on Bob Pop's jiggy and found this. So much for the Peckerhead.

Dble Haul
11-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by FredA
So much for the Peckerhead.

Now there's something you don't hear every day. :p