Ct/ri, 11/02 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ct/ri, 11/02

Dble Haul
11-03-2003, 08:11 AM
A friend and I started our day early at Waterford. I was pleasantly surprised to run into Quentin, who had been there for quite some time before our arrival and told us that the action had been pretty good right until sunup. I caught a few schoolies, then waded out onto a bar to some isolated rocks and watched the albie show go by a few times, just out of casting distance. My friend Andy took a few bass on crease flies, and I finally came tight on an albie that came unbottoned in a hurry. After another nice bass, that was it for that spot. The sun had climbed higher in the sky. It was a beautiful day.

Too beautiful, in fact. Quentin headed for South County, and we headed there about an hour afterwards. Nothing doing out there, some bait scattered about but no birds or signs of fish. Everyone there had the same story, that not much had happened since Friday. Disgruntled, we headed back to Waterford to catch the evening bite.

We bumped into Quentin again, and his Rhody experience was similar to ours. But our hopes began to rise when we saw blitzing bass and blues about a quarter of a mile out, and some swirls began to get closer. As the sun set, we were all able to get a few more bass on topwater (crease flies, sliders, and poppers), and Andy lost a nice bass on a snake fly.

It's not over yet in CT, but it's probably getting close. This week will be much colder compared to yesterday (high 60s for temps). I'll be able to get out next weekend, but that might be it for me due to other commitments later in the month.

Lefty
11-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Yup,
Grego and I did SOuth County end to end. Big nada going on. That's it for me. Where's me fiddle.

Lefty