Chums on the Sound [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chums on the Sound

Wooly Worm
11-02-2003, 02:35 PM
A buddy and I hit the road with my little boat, and we first stopped at Purdy to check on Minter Creek. No fish yet. the water was completely void.

We then drove up to Chico creek, and dropped the boat in. We are glad we did, as the water was alive with fish, jumping, rolling, flipping their pectorals at us. It was amazing.

We threw everything at them-flies, bait, gear, and not one fish. But there must have been 1000 on the bay itself. Even experienced bait guys were having a hard day. Only the snaggers seemed to be catching fish.

All I can guess is the the storm front coming through threw them off the bite.

Rob

fredaevans
11-02-2003, 07:51 PM
fishing not catching.

Sigh ... been there, done that with these buggers many years ago in Washington. When they're on, there's NOTHING like a chum on the end of a fly rod. No class, just brut force.
fae

Wooly Worm
11-03-2003, 12:06 PM
I was out with a Fisheries Biologist, and it was cool to see the fish so shallow in the water. We fished an area between about 5 and 60 feet, and the fish were right on the surface unless they spooked.

I should have taken some video of them.

Rob

tbuehrens
11-07-2003, 12:52 PM
riding in my whaler this summer you could see schools of pinks finning in th middle of the sound- its cool when they run shallow- time for a miyawaki popper