Barn Island Ramp? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Barn Island Ramp?

craig
10-31-2003, 02:57 PM
I need directions to the Barn Island Ramp in RI, can some give me a heads up on how to get there? I would be coming from the Worcester Ma area.

Will anybody be going out tomorrow morning? I have never fished those waters and it would be nice if I could follow someone. If so I might have room to take someone along.

Smcdermott
10-31-2003, 05:19 PM
Craig,

Barn Island Ramp is located in Stonington, CT on Palmerneck rd.

Stonington, CT

I-95 to Exit 91, Stonington Borough exit.
South on N. Main St. to Rte. 1 light.
Left on Rte. 1, past Cove Side Marina (on right) to light.
Right on Greenhaven Road, 1st rt. on Palmer Neck Road.
1.5 miles to end at boat ramp.

I will be in the area if you are looking for a partner on the boat.

Sean

craig
10-31-2003, 05:38 PM
Sean,

I will be there tomorrow at first light. Do you want to meet me? I believe first light is around 5:30 am. What do you think?

Craig

Smcdermott
10-31-2003, 05:41 PM
On one condition, I would need to be back at the ramp by 2:30 if that works for you. My inlaws are coming for dinner from NY and I can't be late.

Sean

craig
10-31-2003, 05:44 PM
I will have you back by then.....Let me know if it is a go and I will be there.......Do you have a idea on where we should try? I will have room for one more if anyone else is game at first light.

Smcdermott
10-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Craig,

Its a go. I will see you there at 5:30. I think it is a good bet to head east around Watch Hill, Napatree etc... Bring wire if it is anything like last weekend there are bound to be some big blues in the area. I will PM you my cell in case you need to get in touch in the a.m.

Sean

Striper
10-31-2003, 06:18 PM
There is a quicker way for you guy's to get to the ramp. Try this link to Mapquest and take Pequot Trail to Farmholme Rd. to Palmer Neck. That is the way I always go when I launch there. Be careful the tides have been very low there lately and I had some difficulty getting the boat back on the trailer last weekend. I got back in at dead low tide and there was no water left, had to winch the boat onto the trailer by hand, what a workout.

Mike M.

Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?location=U%2ffMEMJow7%2bp7hUX8jrsMHFHLAPRp BwP%2fT45BrrnFNpgmdkPasPyO4Y6zzZMBMOb5ipHERvAXnXgY %2b8BKkFWhAUGENctP3sYRFTbY6a46H75KVWpekniSA%3d%3d&address=Farmholm%20Rd%2e&city=Stomington&state=CT&zipcode=&country=US&addtohistory=) Click on the first thumbnail and scroll around to see all of the street names and directions.

SageBoy
10-31-2003, 08:19 PM
Your not kidding about having no water there last weekend Mike. Big Dave and I had a hell of a time getting out of there on Saturday. It took about 20 minutes to get the boat out. I found a rock out in front of the ramp the hard way. I never knew it was there before this past weekend. No serious damage but good to know it's there.:(

juro
11-01-2003, 08:57 PM
What? An innocent ramp inquiry post disguising an open invitation? :devil:

Well guys, how'd you do? I've been very frustrated being unable to exploit indian summer on a late migration year! Hope you whacked 'em!

Smcdermott
11-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Well,

Unfortunately Craig had some last minute business to take care of so he was unable to make it. I fished from shore from first light till 1:30 and was amazed at the lack of activity. Over the last few weeks there has been no lack of action, albeit sometimes out of reach for the shore bound angler. Today, I saw nothing. Boaters seemed to be having just as tough a time. The real surprize was the lack of bait. I didn't see a single pod of peanuts. I searched from Weekapaug to Harkness park in CT without seeing a single bird dive on anything. Hopefully it turned on in the evening. Going to try and catch the evening bite tomorrow.

Sean

juro
11-02-2003, 06:52 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0920151345.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Striper
11-03-2003, 08:03 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0920151345.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Juro,
That says it all this weekend!!!

Mike M.