Winston Boron IIx action--Psuedo Fast or the Real Deal?? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winston Boron IIx action--Psuedo Fast or the Real Deal??

ahab
10-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Hi,

Has anyone had a chance to cast one of these rods in an 8 weight or something in this range? If so, are these rods as "fast" as they say they are, e.g., GLX or XP type fast?

Comments?

Thanks a bunch.

Eddie
10-30-2003, 06:11 PM
I trust very few people when it comes to opinions on fly rods. My buddy says they are the real deal.
Ryan? Have you cast them?

NrthFrk16
10-31-2003, 12:08 AM
They are in fact, the real deal! IMHO, the 9' for a 6 is one of the finest casting rods around.

Are they XP or GLX fast is a tough question to answer because I have found the XP and the GLX to be two totally differnt rods. The GLX is much more proggresive while the XP is very tippy.

They are in fact fast and they have a right to be called fast. They are not a mod-fast rod like the LTX or Scott S3 that they label as fast as a marketing ploy(and I hate to say it but they do have that 'Winston Feel'). They remind alot of the 9.5' XP's as I love the tad more moderate 9'5 XPs but only like like the 9'ers.

They are very light, cast wonderfully well upclose (better then any other fast action rod) but when needed to be extended out, can punch the line through the wind easily as far as say the GLX or XP.

The second generation Boron recovers as quick, if not quicker, then the highest modulous graphite rods on the market.

One more thing, you can fish them with a line on. A good freind of mine, is notorious for overlining every single rod that gets put into his hand. Aside from commenting that it was the finest rod he had ever cast, he also said "And I love it with a line on!"

So anyways, that is as best as I can put it. But you gotta cast 'em!!

Eddie
10-31-2003, 07:14 AM
thanx Ryan.

ahab
11-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your replies. . . so far, everyone is saying just about the same thing for these rods. My thing is I can't believe the weight ranges these rods are coming in . . . Thanks all!

loco_alto
02-01-2004, 09:45 PM
curious if anyone has cast the 10' #7 and 10' #8 in the new winstons, and how they compare to other rods in stiffness??