Fly Fishing Forum banner

Choosing the right color fly or lure.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Pick up the latest issue of On The Water and read the article by Bill Brett "Choosing The Right Color Lure". Its a very informative article. On thing that I picked up is that dark lures work very well on the sandy bottom of Cape Cod. Light colored flies work well in R I. Guess I'll have to experiment with some dark colored flies in )4. Pink worked very well for me this Spring.
FishHawk:smokin:

#2 ·
Fish Hawk... There are so many opinions around about fly color that it is difficult to get a bead on it... Dark colors for sandy bottoms is interesting. Not sure a bonefish fisherman would agree... But If you try to imitate the color of ..say a sand eel... it would have a dark top generally... but it's more than the color of the bottom to me.. the water and sun play a roll as well... not to mention other factors... why a sparce fly with little flash works on the flats and a darker fly with more flash works in the surf... interesting. The safe way I go is try to tye the fly as close to the real one as you can...as a start. A sand eel moving along the bottom of a sandy area ..looking down from our perspective is usually dark... depending on the sun, etc... what the fish see;s may be totally different. I am of the opinion that basically ALL flies work... at certain times... afterall. we must have over 100 styles and colors for sand eels... from the deep eel to stubby clousers that are all chartruese... so I think there are generalities you can form but NO firm answers.

#3 ·
The closest thing to a firm rule with fly color that I have found (and it's relatively firm ;) ) is that dark colored flies, particularly black, work well at night. I've heard that some folks only use black at night when there is plenty of moonlight so that the fly will contrast well, but I've just had too much success with black on overcast nights to really believe that.

Of course, this may all be a confidence thing. I had one good night of fishing with black a long time ago, and that gave me a sense of confidence, and so every time thereafter when I tied on a black fly at night I just fished better. Would a lighter colored fly have produced in those subsequent situations? Maybe, maybe not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.