Mission IV - the final chapter [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mission IV - the final chapter

Hawkeye
01-31-2001, 06:39 PM
Well we’ve had 7 suggestions in our search for a vision/mission and it looks like it’s time to decide what the final product of our work will be. I would like to reiterate my enthusiasm for Pete’s suggestion of both a vision and a mission statement. In this way we can have something simple and easy to define the heart of our community while also having something deeper to define the soul of our community. If we only choose one I think we should go with something longer and deeper.

In this thread vote for:

A. Whether we should have both a vision and a mission statement or just a mission statement

Regardless of your vote above:

B. Your favorite for a vision statement. (one of the short ones)
C. Your favorite for a mission statement (one of the longer ones)
D. Your favorite if we only choose one.

1. The Worldwide Flyfishing Forum is a community of anglers dedicated to four basic principles. The sharing of our collective knowledge and experience; Conservation of the fish we love and the environments in which they are found; Friendship; and Fun.

To live up to these principles we promote informed and active discussions on the issues surrounding flyfishing. We host events like conclaves and sponsor activities like article writing. We seek ways to welcome others to our network so that we may gain from their wisdom, experience, and friendship while sharing ours.

2. A marriage of cooperation between fly fishers and the fishing industry in promoting and the safeguarding of our environment.

3. To build and benefit from our community and network.
To have fun and be involved in conservation efforts affecting our sport.

4. "The Flyfishing Forum is a community of anglers dedicated to sharing knowledge and experience, conservation of the resource, and promotion of friendships and fun around the world. All are welcome; there are no strangers on the water."

5. "Where companions share the passion of fly fishing"

6. "Flyfishers for flyfishers. Sharing the passion"

7. "Flyfishing passionately, sharing enthusiastically, respecting our resources and forging friendships above all."

Hawkeye
01-31-2001, 06:40 PM
Both a Vision and a Mission statement

juro
01-31-2001, 08:16 PM
Thanks Gregg - It's really getting close. I see strong common elements and can almost visualize a succinct mission statement just looking at this last thread. I'll give it a hard look after work (it's still 5pm here) and post my opinion later tonight.

Juro

FrenchCreek
01-31-2001, 10:08 PM
Both
# 5 (unbiased!)

TinMan
01-31-2001, 10:16 PM
Both

striblue
01-31-2001, 10:56 PM
Both... I vote for #5 and #7

Roop
02-01-2001, 05:04 AM
Nice job guys.

Both: 5 & 4

Roop

Mylo
02-01-2001, 06:17 AM
I think #4 is the absolute best. So my vote is just:

Mylo
PS>I would make a sugestion for a 'short' one; same as four minus one bit... I hope it does not throw a spanner in the works, just trying to help out.

"The Flyfishing Forum is a community of anglers dedicated to sharing knowledge and experience and conservation of the resource. All are welcome; there are no strangers on the water."

striblue
02-01-2001, 09:21 AM
Just one thing... I agree with Milo and would have voted for that one above all... BUT the term "angler" should change to "flyfishing" or something like that... I goes back to what Al said... This is a "flyfishing" board and above all it would be critical in a mission statement not to forget that issue.

trutta
02-01-2001, 09:58 AM
Both: 6 & 4

striblue
02-01-2001, 10:07 AM
Please don't get me wrong.. I agree with the entire statement, including "All are Welcomed", etc. All I was trying point out is that we are "predominantly" flyfishing as this board can easily be seen. All includes all anglers, and the statement does say that. I am done, I will shut up now.

Adrian
02-01-2001, 02:02 PM
#4 does it for me for Mission - short, clear, succinct - nice job!

I wasn't too sure about a separate vision statement initially but, the more I thought about it, and at the risk of putting yet another spanner in the works, Vision (for me) is an expression of some future state, outcome or aspiration - a driver or motivator; whilst Mission embodies our practices, principles and values.

FishHawk
02-02-2001, 05:40 AM
I vote for #5 and #7 but would add that we support the work of CCA and are members of that organization. If some of the members do not want to join CCA that is their choice.
FishHawk

John Desjardins
02-02-2001, 09:26 AM
A. Just one short statement.

B. 4
C. 1
D. 4

Hawkeye
02-02-2001, 09:39 AM
Let's close the polls at 7 this evening.

My thanks to everyone who has made this possible and so productive.

TinMan
02-02-2001, 10:47 AM
I'd like to modify my entry for #7 (under the "if it's the only one chosen category") with this modification:

"Flyfishing passionately, sharing enthusiastically, while respecting and maintaining our resources."

Sorry if this is a little late.

MarkDoogue
02-02-2001, 12:29 PM
I would feel strange voting for something that I had a hand in so I'll offer only this.

No matter which item we choose, whether mission, vision, or both, I think that we should include, "All are welcome; there are no strangers on the water."

That embodies the spirit that I have observed(albeit from a distance) within this forum.

Kudos to the author.

~Mark Doogue

striblue
02-02-2001, 01:55 PM
Yes, I agree 100%,that was the point I was trying to make even though I focused on Flyfishing.. I was committed not to comment again but had to make sure that was understood.. It's a flyfishing board..BUT ALL "anglers" are welcomed.

isoh
02-02-2001, 02:09 PM
Mark, thanks. I originally coined that phrase in response to one of your bro's first posts on this board....

John - I hear you on the fly fishing issue. I'd like to keep things focused on that as well. Do keep in mind that our name, the awesome site Juro has created, and the very fabric of our interaction champions that cause. As to resisting the urge to post, it's like that scene from the <i>Godfather</i>: "Every time I try to go legit, [my family] sucks me right back in." http://www.flyfishingforum.com/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

grego
02-02-2001, 02:45 PM

Lefty
02-02-2001, 02:58 PM
Mission statement only (I think the suttle difference between a mission and a vision statement will be lost in this application, so one or the other will do, less is more).

Terry

Bob Pink
02-02-2001, 04:39 PM
Mission / Vision as one