Preferred reel seat color? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Preferred reel seat color?

flyfisha1
10-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi All,
I'm still planning the rod project for the Winter, and am looking at reel seats; particularly at Struble and REC. This rod is primarily for use on rivers and streams for trout.

The question I have is whether you think a nickle-silver reel seat stands a much greater chance of spooking fish if it glints in the sunlight than would a darker, dull finish such as black or titanium-anodized. Obviously, if you're not in the trout's field of vision, there should be reduced chance for a flash from the reel seat to put the fish down, but I still have the underlying concern that it could potentially decrease chances of catching fish in a clear body of water in which the fish are a bit more wary. All of the previous rods I've built have used black or titanium finish components, but I was interested in a change for this one, the 11' 6-wt. XP. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

John Desjardins
10-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Chris, build it the way you want to. I don't think you'll get much more than a fairly diffuse reflection, if that, off of a reel seat. If you build it and get reflections, a reel seat isn't that hard to change.

sean
10-27-2003, 11:52 AM
I use nickel silver reels and have nickel silver reel seats on all my rods.

Never felt I was spooking any fish. I let my casting take care of that:rolleyes:

Plus they look purdy.

-sean

BigDave
10-27-2003, 12:04 PM
I don't think the reel seat is going to make much of a difference for trout. All of my trout rods have wood inserts but the nickel will let you use the rod for dual-duty if you want to fish salt as well.

Good luck!

flyfisha1
10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
... anyone have a preference of Struble vs. REC or even Bellinger?

loco_alto
10-27-2003, 02:59 PM
I would use a Struble u-22 black with the built in butt. Its nice to attach the reel just by turning the butt (not n/s, though)

flyfisha1
10-27-2003, 03:28 PM
I'm actually going to build a 4" fighting butt for this rod, so I can use it as a kind of two-hander when I feel the urge.

tonyd
10-29-2003, 05:32 AM
Struble is "OK",but IMHO is the cheaper and plainer of the nickle silver seats.IMHO they make a custom rod look too much like a factory rod(Sage uses them)

REC offers some very nice seat's as does Bellinger and both are MUCH nicer than the Struble's,but are more money.

The nicest seats I've seen though(both in machining of the nickle silver and in the inserts) are those made my Robert Venneri( www.venerris.com ).INCREDIBLE seats.

HookUp
03-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Never thought of a reel seat spooking fish.

But colors. I try to be consistent. Just built a 3S70ULF2 w/ a gold reel seat, gold/blue thread, and gold hook holder, gold lettering and black guides. Stick to a theme.