Thomas and Thomas Helix [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Thomas and Thomas Helix

loco_alto
10-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Are the T&T Helix rods similar in action to the discontinued Paradigm rods? Any descriptions appreciated. I've not had a chance to cast one yet, and am beginning a search for a "tweener" rod to handle heavy fresh and very light salt, 9'6" 6wt. I need a rod with easy loading and a strong butt.

loco_alto
10-31-2003, 01:18 AM
yup, 40+ views, not one opinion. Heck, these people are SPONSORS

:confused:

Eddie
10-31-2003, 07:27 AM
I have not cast them side by side, so my recalections might be way off. I think that thr Helix is lighter and a little crisper. It is still a very soft, easy loading rod.
If you want the company line, they have a web site. I doubt that they check this one.
anyone?

FredA
10-31-2003, 07:53 AM
I saw some comments on the Helix recently, comparing them to the Vector and Horizan I think. I'll be damned if I can remember where I saw the comments.

juro
10-31-2003, 08:25 AM
Loco -

I'd suggest contacting Trevor Bross at T&T for the skinny. He's an awesome resource for anglers and is always just a phone call away. I personally have only spent any serious time with their two-handers so can't really comment on your question, or else sure as heck I would! :p

josko
10-31-2003, 09:11 AM
I find the Helix a bit softer in the tip than the Horizon, but with plenty of 'punch' for windy flats. The but section has plenty of lifting power.
I would say it is a slightly more forgiving rod than the Horizon, without sacrificing lifting power or line speed.
I have and use a 7 wt 4 pc Horizon for everything from bonito and bonefish to pike and large-river trout

loco_alto
11-26-2003, 09:34 PM
fella's - thanks for the input.

I had a chance to cast the Helix 905 rod and found that it was very similar to the Sage SP that I already own. If anything, the Helix is a tad stronger than the SP, and certainly stronger than the Paradigm. Not as slow as I expected. A characteristically smooth rod from T&T with a nice, even loading profile.

Eddie
11-27-2003, 09:07 AM
thanks loco. I really apreciate it when people ask questions, and then come back with what they found.