Fly Fishing Forum banner

Striper Wind

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  grego 
#1 ·
Ever see SW in a marine forcast? Did you know that stands for Striper Wind?

Now we all know, at this time of year, a heavy concentration of the more tempting baits [such as peanut bunker] can cause stripers to feed or even blitz in virtually any conditions from FAC flat seas, bright sun, miday to howling Easters full of mung and suspended sand.
But what about when the bait can't be found? Where's your "Go To" spot? What conditions can cause you to hide the rake and lawn mower and rish incurring the wrath of the Queen?

For me, at this time of year, my "Go To" spot would be a south - southwest facing shore with plenty of rocks and deep water close by. The conditions that keep me up at night would be a building South - Southwest wind following a period of calm seas.

There's nothing like the smell of a warm south breeze blowing across the top of clean, weed free whitewater crashing on a nice rock pile. Three to six foot surf would be just about right with the assumption that a S - SW is a clean wind. The same surf on any wind with East in it would be dirty and almost wothless.
There are few times when the fishing can be as predictable and reliable. Fact is, there WILL be striped bass in that whitewater, period. Best results of course will be at night, first light and dusk. Cloudy rainy day time is good too. If the whitewater is thick enough though, even sunny days can be worth an effort.
Bare in mind, I'm refering to the true south, southwest wind as an actual weather pattern, NOT the typical sea breeze that builds on almost any sunny warm afternoon.

What is the point of this post? Simple. I'm just expressing my excitment about the weather forcast for the last day of my saltwater season!:smokin:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.