Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shouldn't we still be able to catch....

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JimboJones 
#1 ·
It seems like the bass are all but gone on Cape Ann, but shouldn't we still be able to catch Pollak, Mackerel or Shad? I still see bait in the water.

I catch Pollak & Shad in the early Spring when the water is still very cold. Are they still around after the bass leave? I think the Shad are great fun, they fight and leap like trout.

Just wondering. and hoping...

#3 ·
Sorry I can't answer your question with practical first hand experience. I can however speculate, theorize and otherwise holdforth as if I know what the heck I'm talking about when I really don't.:hehe:

Seriously, I haven't fished Cape Ann for a few years now, but not long ago there were lots and lots of foot long harbor pollack on all the rock piles. I've always imagined those babies had to have bigger brothers and sister somewhere nearby. Maybe nobodies put in the time to find them?

Also, I remember as a teenager back in the late 70s visiting Plum Island in April and seeing the long line of baitfishermen lined up at the river mouth with stringers of eating sized codfish. Later, in the mid 80s when striper fishing was starting to become rewarding again, a friend and I fished worms on the in coming at the mouth and caught more cod and pollack than we did stripers. My point is, with codfish maybe slightly on the rebound, they very well might be available from shore at times and no one knows it.

To put it all into perspective, how many people do you know of who target tautoug from shore on Cape Ann? How many people do you know are even aware that blacks can be caught in this area? But ask a bug diver what fish he sees most around the Cape Ann rock piles in the spring and you might be surprised. I personally have seen good numbers of BIG blackfish on rockpiles as far north as Casco Bay and yet have NEVER encountered anyone targeting them north of Cape Cod.
My point? Be a pioneer!;)

#4 ·
I'm willing to keep fishing. I did see some bird activity on Singing Beach this morning on my way to work.

Juro, my problem is that I have 3 young children and road trips to the cape and RI are few and far between.

Maybe I need to fire up the 4 wt and hit the Mousam for some sea run trout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.