VCM hooks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: VCM hooks

Welde
10-23-2003, 12:09 PM
I am offered a good bunch of VCM hooks, different types for freshvater drys and streamers, and the price is very reasonable. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? :confused:
I usualy prefer Mustad and Kamasan, and would like some advice before I go and by a large quantity.

kjackson
10-23-2003, 12:54 PM
If they're VMC hooks (and not VCM), they are made by a French manufacturer. The brand is now part of the Rapala Group. The brand is sold mostly to manufacturers for OEM use.

In general, I like the hooks I've used. The general run of hooks are extremely sharp right out of the box, and I've had no problems with them that I can recall. The cone point and chemically sharpened hooks in the VMC brand are as good as any out there.

If the price was good, and if the models are ones I would use, I'd buy a bunch.

Keith

Welde
10-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kjackson
If they're VMC hooks (and not VCM), they are made by a French manufacturer. The brand is now part of the Rapala Group. The brand is sold mostly to manufacturers for OEM use.
Keith

Oui, its the french brand:) "Viellard Migeon et CIE". Should have pointed that out... Thanks for the advice.

flytyer
10-23-2003, 03:05 PM
You will find that the VMC hooks are stronger than Mustad 300 and 900 series hooks, and that they have a nicer finish as well. They are not as nice or as strong as the Mustad 800 series hooks.