Thompson Update [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Thompson Update

Dana
10-21-2003, 11:44 PM
two things you'll need to know if planning a trip to the T:

1. the river has blown out. since Friday Oct 17th it has risen a meter. the Nicola is pumping mud into the Thompson washing out most of the classic pools.
2. the run is now estimated at 800 fish, or one of the worst on record.

:(

CDG
10-22-2003, 12:24 AM
I will be heading up there next monday so i hope conditions will be favorable by then. How fast to the thompson/nicola come back into shape? A buddy of mine fished the T for a couple of days last week and the last day he fished was the day it started to go out, btw, a zippo as far as fish go. He saw one fish hooked and heard of no others, i guess the fish he saw hooked was going absolutely crazy!!!! Well i guess i will sit here with my fingers crossed and hope that the rivers will have cleared and the fish will be there.:D

kush
10-22-2003, 01:12 AM
There are essentially no fish, 800 fish in that river is worse than a needle in a haystack - I have the 9 days in so far to prove it...

Here is a shot from Saturday - remember that as I sit here now (Tuesday night) it is about 3 feet higher than the photo shows!

kush
10-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Here is the culprit - again it is all WAY bigger now!

Norwegian
10-22-2003, 03:55 AM
I am planning my first visit to the mythical Thompson next week. So this is kind of disappointing, to say the least.

Any of you experts who dare to guess how fast and when the river will be fishable again?

What are acceptable alternatives to the Thompson, within driving distance from Vancouver/Spences Bridge???

kush
10-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Norweigan,

Check the graph, it is as of 7:20 this morning, note the spike on the 18/19th - it looks puny - the river was unfishable at that height (that is when the above photos were taken). How long - it doesn't look good...

kush
10-22-2003, 01:40 PM
After further investigation it appears that this latest rise in the river is different from last week's. Last week it was the Nicola that caused the problem. This latest one has not only the Nicola, but the upper Thompson drainage - particularly the North Thompson has gone out. This I am afraid will take longer to settle out.

How long it will take for the river to return to fishable condition is anyone's guess. The river above the Nicola will be fishable, however, at the best of times the numbers of fish above the Nicola is a fraction of those below. In an extremely low return year like this to have to depend on finding upper river fish is not a great bet. I checked another BC board - where there are a fair number of gear-types I heard a report of 30 gear guys above the Nicola and one fish being hooked!

This is not shaping up as a good thing :whoa:

CDG
10-22-2003, 03:02 PM
I just checked the level of the nicola and it appears to be dropping at a very good rate. So does this mean the thompson below the nicola will soon be fishable again, i hope so.

flytyer
10-22-2003, 07:24 PM
CDG,

You say you hail from the Methow and Okanogan. I'd stay home and fish those two wonderful rivers, even if they do not have the giants of the Thompson swimming in them. Normally they are only a 2 1/2 to 3 hr drive over the North Cascades for me; but with the washouts on Hwy 20, it becomes 5 to 6 hours. Despite the increased driving time, with what Kush has posted on the Thompson, me thinks I'll be making the long drive to your rivers instead of the 3/ 1/2 to 4 hours to the Thompson.

Kush,

It is going to to take the Skagit a week or two to get back in shape too from all this rain. It is still flowing 7 feet over flood stage in Mount Vernon today and the Corps of Engineers is having the dams dump water for there to be storage for any new big rains.

CDG
10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
FWI, I wouldn't be making the 6 hour drive to fish the okanogan or methow if i were you. Both of the rivers are out as well. Skeena?

Nailknot
10-22-2003, 07:49 PM
This map will give a view of all the WA waters which are "out." Black dot means new record high for the day:

http://water.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/dailyMainW?map_type=real&state=wa

speydoc
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
CDG
The graph of the Skeena looks identical to that of the Thompson that Kush posted - and it appears that it is still rising!
speydoc