Fall Trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fall Trip

Brad
10-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Fished the North Platte over the weekend and did OK. I do not have any pictures so you do not have to believe this report it is your choice. The days began with orange sunrises and ended with even more vibrant sunsets. The plains glowed pink. We saw some pronghorn and a bunch of ducks but no mulies this trip. We found the river to be a bit off color and full of weed. The flushing flows will not come until springtime with the annual runoff. The fish were not eating scuds with their usual recklessness so the catching started slower than usual. A combination of red SJW with an RS-2 trailer elicited the most strikes, although fish were taken on a variety of the usual flies. The longest measured fish went 24. One fish taken at the spillway ran so fast the line slicing through the water set up a spray like a mini jet boat. That fish was bigger but the footing is so treacherous by the dam that she was not taped. My buddy took the biggest fish of his life and the trip. It was a kype jaw male in full spawning color. The water is so fertile the rainbows spawn twice a year up there. The fish was easily over 5 and pushed 7 pounds, an absolute brute. We fished some new water on the ride home. The run was beautiful but only gave up one fish. There is so much water to explore. I cannot wait until our next trip.

juro
10-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Awesome Brad...

Don't need pictures for proof, but I would love the see the aspens and the river scenery of the rockies in vivid color. Well OK a fish picture here or there would get my attention as well :)

Juro

Brad
10-21-2003, 12:55 PM
My buddy came through with pictures. Not the biggest fish but one for the sox fans...

Brad
10-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Sunset