Westfield Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Westfield Report

BigDave
10-20-2003, 02:12 PM
After the DEVESTATING sox loss on Thursday night, I took friday off and headed west for the Westfield River. Air temps when I arrived on the water were 36 degrees! Needless to say the chilly temps made for a slow morning, but once the sun got up it turned into a beautiful fall day on one of the prettiest rivers around.

After trying a number of techniques I went back to down and dirty nymphing tactics and found some success. Landed a few large rainbows that appeared to be holdovers with dark backs and good fins. Highlight of the day was a brown that was either wild or holdover that was in full spawning regalia with big spots and white trailers on the rear fins, similar to those you'd see on a brook trout this time of year.

Saw a decent caddis hatch early afternoon but not a riser to be found in a full day's fishing.

Planned to fish the Deerfield on Saturday but AGAIN 900 cfs all day long so I didn't bother. I don't understand why they are only running low water from midnight to 6 am but I have pretty much given up on this river. Fall is supposed to be low-water time on the big D!

The second season for MA trout anglers is in effect! Get out there and enjoy it!

juro
10-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Sounds pretty awesome, every time I've driven over that river I've thought of how pretty it looks, kind of like a western style river in size and freestone appearance not to take away from New England charm of course ;)

I'll bet before the dam craze on the CT that used to be a nursery for the famed native atlantic salmon run that ran all the way into vermont... have to check the history books on that one.

In any case, what a beautiful river for sure. I'd love to fish it, maybe will squeeze a trip in before the big "W"... can't even say it :p

Quentin
10-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by juro
. . .
I'll bet before the dam craze on the CT that used to be a nursery for the famed native atlantic salmon run that ran all the way into vermont... have to check the history books on that one.
. . .

You're probably right Juro. They have been stocking salmon fry in the Westfield for a number of years as part of the atlantic salmon restoration project. I don't know how successful their efforts have been, since they only get a handful of salmon in the Holyoke fish lift every spring.

Q

fishboyicu812
10-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Man....Dave you are everywhere! Fishing in western Mass. during the week and hittin' Montauk on the weekend...must be nice!