10/12, 10/13 Napatree Insanity [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 10/12, 10/13 Napatree Insanity

Quentin
10-14-2003, 06:36 PM
I fished Napatree beach Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. On Sunday the fish were mauling peanuts in the wash all along the beach. I only saw stripers but someone caught a load of blues further down the beach. I also heard that the blues had a school of bait trapped up against the rocks on the harbor side of the point.

On Sunday I hit the beach again before sunrise but didn't see any action until after the sun was up. The fish were pretty far off the beach but occasionally moved within casting range. Unfortunately, they usually dispersed by the time I made it to the scene of the action. After a couple hours of frustration I headed back and fished the little beach behind the cabanas. There was loads of bait and I knew the place was just waiting to explode. Sure enough, I started seeing shadows cruising along the beach and there were sporadic eruptions in the schools of bait. Pretty soon the place was loaded with fish of all sizes, most of which ignored my flies. I finally did get a couple of stripers on a #1 clouser before the action died down. Some of the pluggers on the jetty scored with some blues.

I left at around noon and checked out Quonny and Weekapaug (both quiet) and then headed west to Ocean Beach. There was plenty of bait there, but no action until just before sundown when the stripers and fluke started blitzing. The fluke were chasing bait right around my legs! I caught a few of each and then the action subsided and I headed home.

Q

Adrian
10-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Great report Q! Sounds like hard work is paying off!

FishHawk
10-15-2003, 04:52 AM
I tried it on Saturday and the wind was brutal. What a difference a day makes. Great report and good work my hat is off to you. FishHawk:D