Tragedy in Harwich [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tragedy in Harwich

striblue
10-14-2003, 04:27 PM
I am sure you guys have been following the news... but they just recovered the body of one of the missing women....Incredibibly, one body was found a mile off south Monomoy. They left off a beach in Harwich..so a lesson... always have a compass and know which tide your going out on if you are Yaking. If they had an incoming they would have made it...or if they had a compass they would have reach some land going north.... Anyway... a good GPS is the way to go... never fear if you know where you NEED to go..... they were suppose to be experienced Yakers... I don't think so... of course... something other may have happened...but there is no logic in getting lost if you are prepared.

juro
10-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Yes, I've been following it with concern... strange how they ended up out of their kayaks? Maybe one capsized in the south monomoy rip and the other tried to rescue? Horrible situation.

striblue
10-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Yes... can't understand it......... 19 and 20 year olds... who are suppose to be experienced... experience in using Yakes...but you need to understand your environment first... easy for a waypoint to be calculated and I would have known if It was going out or an in comming or ....out going is a key... the fog that day way really heavy. Really , a situtaion that did not have to happen..... Harwich to south monomoy.... sounds like a drift out to me....

Adrian
10-14-2003, 05:42 PM
I caught that on the early morning news and saw the familiar sight of the South Monomy light.

A terrible tragedy and lots of unanswered questions.

GPS and a compass to back it up plus wearing the right clothing and PFDs would seem to be minimum safety equipment - you would expect experienced Kayakers to be well equiped. Especially venturing out into Nantucket Sound.....

tomd
10-14-2003, 06:11 PM
yeah, I can't see how it could've been anything but a a driftout John. my wife just told me one of the girls was the sole surviving child of a couple that lost one at birth, one in 9/11 and now this... what can you say? a truely horrible loss

Tom D

Penguin
10-14-2003, 07:22 PM
...They were "experienced" enough to get into an avoidable deadly situation...
...They overestimated their abilities and underestimated the task and conditions...
DARWIN strikes again!

FishHawk
10-15-2003, 06:00 AM
Tragic news. I have read posts on a yak board that would make you hair stand up. People get overconfidant and think that it won't happen to them.
Not knocking the sit on top yak ,but there have been plenty of close calls with people using the sit on top. Yes I know they were in a sea kayaks. Be safe out there and know how to use a compass don't rely on the GPS it could fail.
FishHawk

striblue
10-15-2003, 11:10 AM
The news this morning stated that one body was found... 4 MILES !south of South Monomoy.

Eddie
10-15-2003, 05:32 PM
what's with the big smiley?

JimW
10-15-2003, 08:47 PM
Eddie, I think that's just part of Adrian's signature that shows automatically on ever post. If that's what you are referring to? I'm sure no one finds any happiness in this. What a shame.

Experienced or not, whatever our equipment, we all take a risk when venturing out onto the ocean. Whether by yak, wading or even in a 40'r. The wind can change in the blink of an eye and before you know it you're in a situation beyond the capabilities of your equipement and/or skills.

I really feel for the families. At least those lost went out doing what they loved. I hope this tragedy serves to remind us all that no matter how prepared we may think we are it's no match for the power of the ocean.