Fly Fishing Forum banner

Niantic, 10/11

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
This is a late report, but better than never. :)

Bert and I hit Niantic on Saturday from 5:30pm until about 1:30am. It was one of the first times for me taking my boat into the salt, and it was well worth the effort. We went frontside for a short while and fished the last of the outgoing, but there was nothing doing there. As the tide slackened, we set up inside on the west side and waited for the fish to start coming in.

We didn't have to wait long....even at dead slack the shad started to streak across the flat and readily took our flies. They were hitting at all parts of the water column. I was using a jiggy fly near the bottom, and Bert was using a modified deceiver pattern just under the surface. The action was fairly consistent, and although there were a few stretches when we needed to move and track down more fish the angling overall was very good.

One thing I need to do is get a heavier anchor for my boat. My 15 pound mushroon anchor was at times no match for the combination of wind and current, and this limited us at times to where we could effectively fish.

But all in all, a very good night.

See less See more
#3 ·
Mike, we went around the corner to Millstone while there was still daylight and checked things out....there were some swells, and I wasn't willing to chance anchoring up in that area with my boat (bass boat hull with only 12" of freeboard). Besides, with the anchor issues that I've previously described, it was probably a blessing in disguise.

Besides, we like the Connecticut tarpon on a 7 weight. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.