Thomas & Thomas DH 1511-3 spey rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Thomas & Thomas DH 1511-3 spey rod

Nooksack Mac
10-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Ready for a real muscle rod? T&T describes this model as "an extremely powerful rod at home on brawling, high gradient waters where sink tip lines and heavy flies are needed." Fifteen feet, three-piece, rated for #11 lines, but performs best with a 12-weight - which I'm including, for free.
Custom-built, with G. Loomis-style handle, black anodized spey reel seat, standard chromed 2-foot guides. Last year I rewrapped the dark blue blank with more appropriate blue thread and repositioned the stripping guides, which leaves marks where they were. This rod was used for several seasons; it's still sound, in very good condition.
Flytyer and I have cast this rod and his 1611 side-by-side, and agree that they differ only in one foot of length. Frankly, I find it to be a little too industrial-strength even for winter steelhead. But that's just me. If you want an ultimate power-pole for chinook salmon, tube flies, and extra-heavy sink-tips, here's your chance. $350 including shipping and a barely used Orvis DT12F spey line. (The rod now costs $790, and the blank alone lists for $474.)
...Or, I'll consider a trade for another spey rod or spey reel. What do you have that you're not using?

flytyer
10-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Mac is correct, this rod differs from my 1611 only in length. At this price, someone is going to get a bargain! (especially if they have another spey rod to swap) The T&T 1511 is a great rod for tossing big flies and heavy tips. If someone is looking for a thunder stick for winter fishing or chinook, here's your chance.

BeBop
10-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Mac, are you interested in a Bruce and Walker Powerlite 7/8/9? If you are, drop me an email at: mrmcclure@shaw.ca

That's a 14' by the way.