Interesting day.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Interesting day....

sean
10-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Sorry I do not get to fish much and yes I am bragging:razz:

Took a day and floated the Cow from barrier dam to blue creek. My wife and kid are out of town and I needed a fish fix. Yeah some of you are rolling your eyes but I am telling you...just time your fishing around when the hoardes are chasing newly arriving salmon in the lower river and you can have the river to yourself. Today was a case in point as I only saw 1 sled on the river.

Was on the water at 8am and stopped to fish a riffle below the dam. Started out with the meiser 8/9 and first cast I get a huge tug. Thought it was a steelie but the fish continued to tug and tug. 10 minutes later I have a 18 lb nookie to hand. I did not come to fish for salmon but I wasn't complaining. I usually go out of way not to go after salmon in the river and this was the first chinook I have caught since I was a kid in Alaska. A welcome incidental catch.

So next cast same thing. These fish were taking the fly mid swing and hard. Meiser says on his website the 8/9 can handle 40 pound fish and he was right. The second fish had to be in the low twenties and the rod performed beautifully. Since the fish seemed to be ina biting mood I decided to see how the CND 8/9 would handle them . Couple casts later same result. Big nookie and the CND has no problem. Yeah I had the rod corked but was still able to move the fish. Finished that run but landed another smaller nook around 15 pounds.

Then the fishing goes dead , nothing for a couple hours until a 10lb steelie graces me with her presence and puts on a nice aerial show. I am LOVING the cow at this point and still had a few runs left to fish.

I end up a few riffles above the takeout where I hit another couple steelhead and countless cutts. The cutts are running big this year and I was happy to see them. I just wish I had brought a lighter rod.

So I head to the takeout and decide to hit one last run. Just could not pass it up. So while I am talking to a guy about my day I get yet another take. This time it is a fairly bright coho around 13 lbs. After that fish I had had enough and packed up and headed home for a much deserved burbon.

All in all a good day. 2 species of salmon, a few steelies, and a ton of cutts. All on a floating line and all on the same fly. I love the cow...

-sean

juro
10-14-2003, 05:27 AM
You know how I feel about her. It's not her fault, you know, about the illegitimate children. She was drunk and got taken advantage of. And that tattoo, well she was in love and now he's left her shackled up in that hard life. Between Riffe and Mayfield, the walls are tall and she can't get back to her original splendor. But she still is beautiful in her emerald depths and no human can ever change that.

Man, I am ready to pull the trigger on a plane ticket to come hit the Washington triad - North Cascades, Olympic Peninsula and of course the Columbia tribs in one of my two favorite times of year for sure!

Doublespey
10-14-2003, 05:22 PM
I'll echo Juro's comments - she's a great river PERIOD. Hell, I don't even notice the tattoos anymore. :devil:

rich_simms
10-14-2003, 06:28 PM
I too have been guilty for caving to her temptations and seductions as she offers me her cheap beer. I guess it's kinda like the old saying about mopeds and unattractive women... :whoa:

juro
10-14-2003, 06:49 PM
One fine June day I fished the area near the mouth of the Toutle and after a nice Kromer hen, landed a monstrous buck with perfect fins in the 17# class in the fanout just above the chute between the dirty water and the clean.

We unanimously decided it was a wild Green River summer run and it was promptly released. Not all of her childred are illegitimate. ;)

Leland Miyawaki
10-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Sean, that's one of the finest fishing days I've heard about in years! I am envious, dude.

Leland.

Green Butt
10-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Ditto,

After many years of cursing her, I have come to better know her, understand her; how to be in her right spots at the right time. Sounds erotic, but isn't it so? And still so much more to know about her!
Have spent many mornings without seeing a boat--even some weekends.
The cuts really are big this year.
That was a great day you had Sean. We all need one of those from time to time. Congratulations!

Robert Meiser
10-15-2003, 07:20 PM
Way to go Sean...Cannot even think of a better way to christen fresh graphite !

Thanks for sharing that experiance.

Good on ya....Bob Meiser