Good deal [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Good deal

flyfisha1
10-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I was in Maine last week on business and stopped by an antique place to have a quick look around. From the outside, the store looked small, but inside it was something like 5 split-levels of everything you can imagine, from books to furniture to old rods and reels to creels to mounted game and fish and on and on. Ended up getting a first edition print of Joe Brooks' The Complete Illustrated Guide to Casting (1st ed., 1963) for $4.25 (there's a small envelope inside the front cover containing a note from a guy named Ben addressed to his friend John, talking about "come back soon so we can compare scars", etc., dated January of 1964, which I take to have relevance to a war), Trout Madness by Robert Traver (1st ed. 1960) for $7.50, McLane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia (2nd ed., 1974) for $5, and an old book on Oceanography for another $5. All are hardbound and in very good condition, so I was thrilled to get them at such a great price. Additionally, picked up an old thread cabinet that has clear glass drawer-fronts with metal handles, perfect for storing tying materials; paid a little under $400 for that, but it's got great character and has plenty of room for storage (drawers are about 1.50" tall, 15 of them, most are divided). I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance. There were many old steel rods (fly fishing and otherwise), Pflueger reels, and standard fishing reels (most of them old Penn's). Really nice store, and the owners were very friendly. The store's a few miles from an Orvis store on the Kennebec I stopped in, going to hit the river next year with a guide, I think. You never know what you'll find off the beaten path!