Fly Fishing Forum banner

10/9 Matunuck PM/AM

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I managed to get out for another lovely moonlit evening. Quite a contrast from Tuesday. Arrived at the beach by the Ocean mist to see bait showers and Big bass chasing the Bunker. Beach was loaded with 3-4 inch long bunker. It took a few fly changes. But I finally hooked a 34-35in bass, one of the biggest bass for me on the fly. Followed up later with one about 28in.

If I was willing to wade on the rock shoals I could probably hooked up with more, But after stepping into a wave II found I had a 3inch gapping hole in my waders at the inseem. I couldn't figure out how that water got in with my wading jacket until I saw the gaping hole. Oh well 10year old waders must be getting tired by now.

I'll probably head out again tonight, conditions are great right now.

Tight Lines,
Greg.

#3 ·
Returning to the scene of the crime?
You hit 'em on the Harvest Moon and went back to the same spot for the Hunter's Moon, good call.
As a rule, I don't put much faith in fishing a full moon, but man it's the coolest time to be out there! When you actually do find fish it's alot of fun!
Keep up the good work, you've got a jumbo comin' to ya:)

#4 ·
Nice work Greg!

I saw a lot of tail drag marks from the guys who fished the moon before I arrived yesterday on South Beach. When bunker are in the fish are prone to use the moon to their advantage IMHO, I remember losing one of the biggest fish I've ever hooked on a fly at the mouth of Herring River on a moonlit night. Longest fight I've ever had from a striper too, a heartbreaker.

Might have to join you one of these nights... but it would be "research". I haven't tested the 11x11 on a night sortie' yet :p

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I am hoping to hook into some more before the season is over. Making up some new fly recipes incorporating some of Juro's suggestions. Can't wait to try them out.

We really should hook up in Rhody to fish sometime soon Bunker are thick, Blues and albie still up in Narragansett.
Narragansett beach was on fire last night by the way. Blues and stripers bunker all over the place..

I hope you can make it out with that new rod Juro I'd really like to try an 11x11. I was thinking of building a two hander like a 12x12 or 12x11 this winter.

I really enjoy the full moon fishing when conditions are nice. The ocean was very calm But still cloudy. It should be alittle clearer tonight.:smokin:

Greg

#6 ·
10/ Matunuck

Greg,

10 years on a pair of waders? What brand? I gotta get me one of those!

Seriously, a season-ender in RI with Juro, yourself, etc. would be a hoot. Let me know if something develops, please. I'm 4 hours from Quonny, so a half-day in the office plus a day of playing hooky gives me PM and AAM fishing possibilities.

I'll bring the java.

-Doc

#7 · (Edited)
Hi Doc,

What brand on the ten year old waders? Don't laugh But Cabellas, 3.5mm bottom of the line, they spent most of their life in a box or hanging in the closet. I have 3 pairs, I mostly use the Simms 5mm stockingfoot, But switched to the Cabellas when my boots for the simms wore out or fishing the surf.

I think I ripped them falling in the suds covered rocks at Quonny in retrospect.
so they may have lasted alittle longer apart from that. The boots have no felt and I have no korkers so not surprising I would take a fall in them.

We are kicking the 18th and 19th around as a good possible date. the following weekend should be pretty good depending on the weather. Not sure how everyones calendar is looking.

Greg.

#9 ·
IMHO without a doubt the most durable waders ever made are OS Systems from Scappoose Oregon. They have the Navy Seals gear contracts, etc. I have a pair well over 12 years young and they do not leak at all. I bought a second pair after about 8 years, out of sheer guilt!

Only thing is they don't breathe so being a flats afficionado I had to defect to goretex. They make some of the best breathable stuff but unfortunately not for fishermen (no waders). I've contacted them by phone and begged a couple times, no go.

The feet are made of a thin and durable one-pc molded latex and are the most comfortable of any wader I've ever worn, like socks. $150 new.

RHODY! I am booked for a trip on the cape on the 19th so would have to postpone my south county sortie for the following weekend. If anyone's cape-bound I have Friday and Saturday open for a beach and inlet session, will bring plenty of two-handed toys.

I plan to do the weekend after the 19th on Rhody.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.