Chasing the dream [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chasing the dream

sinktip
10-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Every year about this time we seem to start talking about steelhead destinations. That got me wondering how many trips we as steelhead addicts take on an average year.

I know I fish on average about 80 days a year for steelhead. The majority of these are 2-3 hour stints or single day trips on local rivers. I do however take 2-3 multi-day trips ranging from 3 or 4 to 9 days. Am I an anomaly or is this the norm?

Dana
10-08-2003, 05:50 PM
I average a little less than 1/2 your days for steelhead, but most of those are 2 - 3 day trips with a few 4+ days as well. My drive time to quality water is such that it is pretty much impossible for me to work in 1/2 day or 1 day trips, except in the spring, which I need to do more of (this year's project!).

flytyer
10-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Sinktip,

Like you, I get out about 50 to 60 days per year and most of those are on local rivers. I do manage to get in 2 or 3 trips to other rivers that are from 2 to 4 days in length.

juro
10-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Used to be on the upper end of the scale, nowadays I'm barely on it :(

At least I enjoy every second I get!

Moonlight
10-08-2003, 07:39 PM
It would seem to me that the "Goal" here would be to make one trip of rather lengthy duration sometimes refered to as a "year". Seems like something always brings one back to the real world and then you have to rush out and start over again.
I get to fish alot of days and mostly multi day trips as I surely dislike commuting to the "Wet End" from Port Angeles so I camp out all winter in my trailer when the waters are inshape. Then I usually hang out at home on the weekends freeing up water for the weekend warriors in my abscence.
I think I need to start another trip soon!:)

BobK
10-08-2003, 09:39 PM
I've got 3 very good streams and rivers within 50 miles of my home, and a LONG trip would be a little over 2 hours. In a pinch, I can drive 1.7 miles and be on a decent small trib. Within 1 hour, there are 23 tribs that I can fish. These are of varying size and conditions, and I haven't had a chance to explore 'em all yet.

Because of that, I don't have to take multi-day trips.

BobK:D

NrthFrk16
10-08-2003, 11:36 PM
I fish about 120 or so days a year with the vast majority of those days spent in pursuit of steelhead. I make countless trips to Forks every winter and a good number to various Columbia River tribs as well. I have yet to make it to the North Country eventhough every year I say "this is going to be the year."

wrke
10-09-2003, 12:24 AM
I don't live near any natural steelhead fisheries, so I must travel for my fishing. I take 1 steelhead trip a year and 3 for Atlantic salmon. Generally 1 week per trip.

andre
10-09-2003, 03:51 PM
do to work and the kiddies my days are limited. I am commited to a single trip every year that usually lasts about a week. I also gat a couple of other two day trips. I base trips on the number of hours to drive by the number of hours fished. I'll drive an hour to fish an hour and a half on occation. If the flows are low enough I have a river 20 minutes from the the office that I'll visit after work on occation. Otherwise nothing is real close.

andre

Cphatts
10-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Living in Portland I have tons of choices within 1-2 hours of my house. I usually do just day trips....but my favorite all around river, the Deschutes, is about 2 hours away and I usually do an overnighter. Also in Portland we are blessed with a couple good rivers in the metro area. When the bite is on, I have been known to take some long "lunch breaks" :cool:

Hammer
10-10-2003, 01:06 PM
used to fish the morn. then go to work;at my house,love the downsize thing,then every eve as i'm 5 miles from the river Rogue,have been my whole life,,,but i've been on a tear to get my home in shape this year,hey ,,,gotta go!!!!:chuckle: