Ultimate Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ultimate Fly

MCorder
10-06-2003, 06:54 AM
I'm pretty new to the Saltwater side of the house so I have allot of odd questions. This one spawns from a tying session this weekend...
I have total confidance that I can tie on a Hare's Ear Nympth and anywhere in the country catch everything from bass to panfish to trout. I was wondering if there's a saltwater equalivant to this.
Thanks for your help.

striblue
10-06-2003, 07:15 AM
M... I think the only type fly that would seem similar is a shrimp fly... I would think a Hare's ear would work as this imitation. There are countless type's of shrimp flies ,especially for Bonefish, and many type's of tye's for other species... Also a worm fly might also take the appearance of the Nymph. Take a look in the Bonefish fly archives where I have tied up several shrimp flies from Dick Brown's book... I think you will see some that they look a little like the Hare's ear. In fact , I used a shrimp fly this summer that really looked more like a small green wooly bugger. I will be anxious to see what you come up with.

juro
10-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Realistically I don't think there is such a fly, but it would have to be a small deceiver, clouser or crazy charlie to fall into the hare's ear category in the brine, IMHO. The clouser is probably the most fish-catchin'est fly out there in the salt.

striblue
10-06-2003, 07:29 AM
Sorry... I must have confused the question... Juro is correct, but I thought you were looking for an actual Hare's ear equivalent, tied as a Hares Ear. The closest would be a shrimp fly.

Sprocket
10-06-2003, 10:55 AM
I think you're looking for a "Go To" type pattern that will catch everything in everywhere salty...

I'd have to say "Deceiver" - from 2 to 6/0 and color variations - thick or sparce, long or short tails, on bedback hooks or Big Game GAMA-GATZOO's!

Oh yeah, some guy named Clouser has a great pattern too...

MCorder
10-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks...in freshwater one of the first fly's, and still a favorite, was the hare's ear nympth. As I'm getting started in Saltwater I'm just looking for an equalivant goto fly.

Slinger
10-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Why not go for the best of both and use half+half`s. They have the tail of the Deciever and the eyes of the Clouser. Tied in sizes from 2" to 6" they have become my # 1 fly. I fish them probably 90% of the time and am seldom disapointed.
Slinger

Smcdermott
10-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Slinger,

What is this 2"-6" stuff. We all know no matter how hard you try you can't tie anything other than a 3" fly!!! I hope to wet a line on Sunday. I have a friend's wedding on Friday in CT so that is going to tie up Saturday as well. I will try and give you a call Saturday to see where you are going.

Sean

jfbasser
10-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Your right Sean, I spotted Slinger in the Den on Sunday buying 3 " bucktail:D