Hardy Favorite 1611-3 reel seat question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hardy Favorite 1611-3 reel seat question

10-05-2003, 12:18 PM
I have recently acquired a Hardy Favorite 16' 11 Wt. 3 piece spey rod. When I attempt to secure a suitable reel (Hardy Marquis Salmon #2, Loop Traditional #4, etc.) in the seat, the lower half of the locking mechanism advances toward the butt with each attempt to secure the reel. I've thought of duct tape, but I am open to suggestions from more knowledgeable fishermen.:(

Nooksack Mac
10-07-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure that I'm properly visualizing the problem, but if you're certain that a ring or band is moving that is supposed to be stationary, you could pour exoxy inside it, perhaps using tape as a dam and being sure that the space for the reel seat foot isn't filled; then stand the rod vertical to dry. But first, be certain that you want that part locked in place!:whoa:

10-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks Nooksack.

That is certainly one solution to the problem.
I'll look at it a while longer, and possibly come up with a solution.
One is to put it up for sale. It has had little use. I don't know when I'll need this big of a gun here in the Great Lakes.

Thanks again, and Best Fishes!

10-07-2003, 11:04 PM
have hit the same problem several times.

One suggestion, and it appears to work, is to cut straight sections off a paper clip and 'glue' them to the reel seat to increase their size.

Simplistic answer if 'length' of the reel seat is not he problem.

10-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks Fred,

Another thought I had was to place a piece of tubing around the rear foot, to allow it to apply more pressure to the cork handle. Similar in principle to the rings only reel seats on rods.