Hardy Favorite 1611-3 reel seat question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hardy Favorite 1611-3 reel seat question

Hondo
10-05-2003, 12:18 PM
I have recently acquired a Hardy Favorite 16' 11 Wt. 3 piece spey rod. When I attempt to secure a suitable reel (Hardy Marquis Salmon #2, Loop Traditional #4, etc.) in the seat, the lower half of the locking mechanism advances toward the butt with each attempt to secure the reel. I've thought of duct tape, but I am open to suggestions from more knowledgeable fishermen.:(

Nooksack Mac
10-07-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure that I'm properly visualizing the problem, but if you're certain that a ring or band is moving that is supposed to be stationary, you could pour exoxy inside it, perhaps using tape as a dam and being sure that the space for the reel seat foot isn't filled; then stand the rod vertical to dry. But first, be certain that you want that part locked in place!:whoa:

Hondo
10-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks Nooksack.

That is certainly one solution to the problem.
I'll look at it a while longer, and possibly come up with a solution.
One is to put it up for sale. It has had little use. I don't know when I'll need this big of a gun here in the Great Lakes.

Thanks again, and Best Fishes!

Hondo

fredaevans
10-07-2003, 11:04 PM
have hit the same problem several times.

One suggestion, and it appears to work, is to cut straight sections off a paper clip and 'glue' them to the reel seat to increase their size.

Simplistic answer if 'length' of the reel seat is not he problem.
fae

Hondo
10-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks Fred,

Another thought I had was to place a piece of tubing around the rear foot, to allow it to apply more pressure to the cork handle. Similar in principle to the rings only reel seats on rods.

Thanks,

Hondo