Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishinhg for Albies - help needed

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  capt_gordon 
#1 ·
Going fishing for Albies next week and wanted to ask more experienced anglers their preferences for targeting these speedsters and what has worked for you in the past.

I will be fishing in RI from a boat (and maybe shore).

What wgt rod do you mostly use - 8, 9, 10?
What line do you mostly use - Floater, Intermediate or fast sink (like a Teeney 350gr)
How about Clear vs. Colored lines (like amber or green)
Leaders - 20lb Floro sound good?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Matt,
No expert on Albies, I've only caught one but here's what I did.
9wt 325QD 30' floro
I think a 10wt would be better. You're 20lb should be fine but you may find the 30lb also holds up to some of the blues that may be in the way.

Good luck.
I'm sure other experienced folks can help us both out.

#3 ·
I'll make this quick. My buddy and I caught 31 Albies on Wed. and we used 9 & 10 wt. rods with either sinking line or Intermediate or floating line when casting crease flies. The fly of choice was a small #2 Bay Anchovie epoxy fly in Tan over white. Leave the 8 wt. home unless you want a broken rod or dead fish. Even the 9 wts. were a bit outgunned the other day. Not huge fish but very strong and feisty. Try both one hand strips and underarm two handed to see what works best, I have had success using both just depends on the situation. The only other thing you need to be aware of is Albies will cause you to do stupid things in the heat of the battle, so knowing this before hand concentrate on staying relaxed and calm, even if the fish are busting right next to the boat take your time and make every cast count. make sure your line is clear when you hookup and keep the boat clean and organized. I have learned some very hard lessons fishing for these fish over the years and if you want to increase your success stay calm, cool, and collected. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

#4 ·
Beware the closetotheboat HIGH STICK!

I get all weird inside when I hear bitchin' about how this or that rod brand must be "defective" 'cause it broke for no apparent ("disclosed") reason...
I'll bet 99% of the time the break happens when the fish is close to the boat and involves a tip or upper rod section...
...Two minutes in the penalty box for HIGH STICKING!
Raise the rod tip much above 45* to the source of resistance and most of the lift is lost...
Critical pressure is transferred up top and SNNNNNNAAAAAP!
"Musta' been the $#&*$ rod!"
These mini-t-tailed-torpedo-racers are formidable and will test the drag of a marginal reel...screw up with rod technique and you will join the dismayed broken rod brigade.
Also...
Trying to chase down pods of fish is sorta' like herding cats!
A stampede of boats will put the fish down in a hurry...
If you can determine a general trend in direction then drift and let the dance come to you, your passing opportunities will pay off in spades.
But...what do I know?!
Good luck and have a great day!

#5 ·
Good advice

There is some excellent advice in the above posts. The only thing I would add is to have flies in a variety of sizes, pattern isn't that huge a deal but size is. You need to match the size of what they are feeding on. Here in NC that is pretty small most of the time but bigger bait shows up later on. We are seeing gigantic schools of tiny rainbait here now that is so small it appears red when on the surface due to the sun shining right through. Later on they will often feast on bigger silversides. Often on the same day they will be feeding on baitfish from both ends of the size spectrum. Oh yeah, we have albies here in Cape Lookout now too. The first scouts of the season.

#6 ·
Pete,
You are right again on the broken rod thing. I have broken more than a half dozen rods in the last couple of years, before that it had been 15+ years since I broke a rod. Then I found the Albies, and it all started. 99% of the time it was my fault!!!! High sticking is the bain of all Albie fisherman. I have since learned my lesson the hard way and as of yet have not broken a rod since last year.......knock wood!!!! But my friend broke two in one day last Wed. one of which was my new 9 wt. I just got back from Orvis for repair:( . He was high sticking his fish all day long and I just kept my mouth shut until he snapped his rod landing a fish too quickly. He was so pumped up to land fish and cast again he forgot to take his time. After the first rod I thought:tsk_tsk: he won't do that again, I handed him one of my backup rods and he proceeded to break it on the very next fish exhibiting the same high sticking maneuver as before. After that he was banished to spin land and was quite distraught and apologetic. I gave him the "I learned the hard way" speach and told him to take his time from now on and wait until the fish is spent before trying to boat it. Also told him he needs to keep more angle on them even if he has to move to the other side of the boat, too much angle on the rod spells disaster.

Mike M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.