Narragansett Blues 9/30 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Narragansett Blues 9/30

GregD
10-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Managed to get out for awhile in the afternoon with the boys. We went out of Weaver Cove in Portsmouth RI. We put in and didn't go much further than just off shore from the ramp. The blues and some stripers were feeding aggressively with birds following above. We anchored up and Josh and Brandon hooked up and were bit off before we could land them. With no wire and Big blues everything got chewed up despite 30lb test leader. By the time thiings slowed down it was time to go. Fun few hours and lots of action.

Tight lines,
Greg.

mikez
10-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Good job Greg! nothing like a school of hungary blues to keep the kids' attention.
I'm not familiar with that area. Is it on the east side of the bay, or up inside? Is there any shore access? I'm gonna be looking for blues from shore this weekend as my son isn't gonna have the patients or skill for hunting albies and he's too little to get into a real surf to hunt for bass. Hope we find some blues!

GregD
10-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi Mike,

Weaver Cove is on the East and up inside from Newport, just up from the Newport bridge. I'm not too knowledgable about Shore access as it was my first time there. I spoke with a couple fisherman who mentioned they opened up access by Kiaser aluminum to fisherman. Seemed like one could park near the boat ramp and fish. Further down by newport there is plenty of access .Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the area might mention some good access spots.

Good luck

Greg.

TimSt
10-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Mike-
My youngest and I ran into a great blues blitz right at Weaver cove last year, but I wouldn't consider it a dependable shore spot (no special currents or structure to make it a predictable spot).

The bay has been alive with surface action for quite some time now, but it's hit or miss from shore, as always.

For more dependable action, I'd check the Newport beaches and ocean front if you're sticking with Aquidneck island. If you're not on the island, I think you know where else to go ;)

Tim

zimmjas
10-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Shore fishing from Weaver Cove and Carr Point is hit and miss. I live about 15 minutes away and routinely drive by, get out and just check things out with the fly rod in the car. One time in the last year did I get there and see any activity... blues had the peanut bunker right on the shore line. Other than that, I would suggest a canoe or kayak to get out a little further. Routinely I see fish on top just off the boat ramp, but far enough out of range for the spinning or fly rod. Be careful in a boat at night... there are some rocks just off the south end of Dyer Island that unfamiliar boaters might not be aware of. If the fog rolls up, and you don't know the area, you can run right into them.