More phrase trivia [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: More phrase trivia

Hawkeye
01-11-2001, 05:42 PM
Here's a few more to ponder. Answers given tomorrow.

1. Sleep tight

2. Honeymoon

3. Mind your P's and Q's

4. Wet your wistle

Hawkeye
01-12-2001, 12:15 PM
What .... no guesses yet? Sully, from your other post you should know these.

steve moore
01-12-2001, 02:38 PM
#3. "P" represents "Pints" and "Q" represents "Quarts". Whe you went into a pub, you ordered your beer by the pint or quart. It was very important for bartenders to mark the correct letter on customers' tabs, so they knew how much $ the customer owed.

#4. I imagine it would be difficult to whistle with dry lips, so "wetting your whistle" by taking a drink would help.

TinMan
01-12-2001, 03:36 PM
Being a homebrewer, I know that Honeymoon is often talked about as being derived from a present of mead (made with honey) by the father of the bride to the groom (though why he'd want his son-in-law soused is up for debate). It's believed that this is a myth.

The commonly held notion is that honey is sweet (love) and that the moon reference is to a full moon which wanes, but is brightest when full (like sweethearts in love).

I like the mead explanation better. http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Also, the version of "P & Q's" I've heard (also related to beer... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....beer) is that bartenders in England would mark Pint and Quart as P & Q's on a board behind the bar for each patron. So if they didn't pay attention (mind their P's and Q's) they might get a padded tab.

grego
01-12-2001, 04:33 PM
Another explanation for wetting your whistle was that some beer older mugs had a built in whistle, so when you wanted another drink, you blew the whistle.

Hawkeye
01-12-2001, 05:32 PM
Great work guys. And the answers are .... at least the ones I have:

1. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by
ropes when you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the
bed firmer to sleep on.
Hence the phrase, "goodnight, sleep tight."

2. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for
a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his
son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the honeymoon."

3. In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old
England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them
to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get
the phrase "mind your P's and Q's,"

4. Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked
into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a
refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle," is the phrase inspired by this practice.

Not having researched these myself I make no claims as to accuracy.

Now on to more flyfishing stuff!

juro
01-12-2001, 05:42 PM
BRAVO! Well Done, Holmes.