Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's your end game?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
As much I hate to say it, I am seeing the end of the season over the horizon. The only thing worse than talking about it is having it catch me by surprise.

So... with maybe 4-6, 7 a stretch before ol' man winter comes a knockin', what are you going to do before the pumpkin is totally frosted?

Here's what I'd like to do between now and winter:

> Ontario Spey Clave this weekend

> Two-handed migration hunt, open to all Oct 11th, Nauset

> Two-handed south county sortie' Oct 18th, Rhody

> Two-handed outer limits clave Oct 25th, TBD

In winter:

> Possible Sandy Hook trip?

> Aruba Bonefish Club

> pray for spring!

BTW - Anyone interested in doing these two-handed / spey get togethers? The way I'd like to do this is to just take an hour to get acquainted with the rods and see what all the hubub is about, the rest of the day would be a normal fishing day somewhere good and a hot dinner afterwards, etc. You could use the rods in the actual situations if desired, for instance Napatree surfline, Nauset, etc. I will be happy to offer guidance in the learning the ease of two-handed casting.

Just let me know, I will be fishing the migration hard on the beaches with them until the fat lady sings and would love to hook up with anyone interested!

See less See more
#5 ·
Will be in town from the 13th thru the 21st under the typical difficult time frame. Should I bring the gear and find one day to fish? Have not been following Bay State weather trends so don't know if fish will all be south of Hub by then.

#6 ·
Rhoddy sounds like a plan to me.

Also, gotta get back down to Joizey in November - those beaches set up nice for the double hander.

Exuma bonefishing and bluewater happening in November.

Then, if I decide to come back to work (which is questionable currently :devil: ), I'm tempted to do a guided trip in New York harbor in December to round out the year, be able to say "I did it" and also because it can really rock down here that month!

Big fat stripers & blues followed by Martini's and steak - anyone else interested? :smokin:

#7 ·
Sandy Hook

Depending upon the weekend (or day) and whether you guys have an opening at that point, Sandy Hook would be great for me! I think I'm less than two hours away in the Bronx, and would be happy to meet some of the other forum members.

#8 ·
Adrian,

The Hook awaits! THe NYC Harbor trip (plus martini and steak) sounds like fun, too. Keep me posted, as I would love to join in on the fun.

Flyfisha1, I am always up for a Sandy Hook trip, and there is always room for one more Forum member!

Best regards,

-Doc

#12 ·
Rooster, you got it! I had a second timer casting both of the new versions hot off the mandrel today. He was throwing both rods the full line from either side (right and left).

Also, Rio's new Scandinavian shooting heads are AWESOME on the 1111! Talk about easy... I was standing in a kids size soccer field at the mid-field sideline stripe throwing the line over the crossbars in either direction with one backcast today. Ran out of shooting line, I need a longer one. Rio makes a 120' shooting line of aqualux intermediate that has my name on it to go with the head. The beauty is I can cut back the rear section and tune it to work with both lines. My theory is that with the right cut I can use the same head on both the 11ft 11/12wt beach rod and the 10'9" 9/10wt all-arounder, using a loop system. I've never cast a head that turns over so beautifully and the intermediate/sinking tricolor is going to be just the thing for the surf.

Sully -

ARGGGHHH!!!! I won't be fishing this weekend, but put up a weir so I can get there next week! :D

(thanks for the tip, I will be all over it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.