South Monomoy Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Monomoy Report

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:24 PM
We had a great Day... we did not go to the Rip but fished the beaches of South Monomoy. Many fish caught thoughout the day... with FredA and Juro hitting big... here are Photos.

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Arriving and setting up.

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:31 PM
Juro and his two hander.

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:32 PM
FredA with fish on.

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:34 PM
.... 36 plus!

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Double Haul.... searching.....

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:37 PM
A break time...

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Fish Hawk...

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:41 PM
This is me... Fish hawk told me to do the skunk pose.... which is why you see no fish...skunk all day for me.

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Adrian shows us the bait today... all sand eels.... everywhere...

striblue
09-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Here it is...

striblue
09-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Our Group Picture.......

FredA
09-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Great day and a few fish to boot. Very interesting perspective of the area and lots of big fish seen.

The Ironman seemed a bit quiet in the afternoon. I think he must of been up too late for the CAC induction proceedings.

striblue
09-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks Fred... your a Pal!!!!!! Mark and Bert are , if you can believe ,fishing right now down at Ridgevale and Chris and Drew just stopped in... we did not make the Squire because Mark's car was acting up and is now in the shop ... with a fix date of this Wednesday... I am leaving for home tomorrow and need to get him to the Hyannis Airport to rent a car....Next time I will never take a nap if I know you have a camera.!!!;)

Lefty
09-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Nice shots. Fred, you beet me by an inch :mad:
Looks like you guys had a time.

FredA
09-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Lefty, you must of beat me by an inch. Sombody put a tape on the fish and I think it was 34". Chunky though and fought bigger when it got out in the fast current.

John, several other people took the same pic so you should have no trouble getting copies.

striblue
09-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Fred... just so you know... I was resting my eyes.... nothing more. ..... and I don't have waders on.... even in September.;)

juro
09-28-2003, 01:31 AM
Great day, not too many like that left in our season that's for sure. I was fortunate to start the day with a 33" ish beauty on my second cast, sight fished. Hooked another just like it within minutes and dropped that one in my backing, then a bunch of schoolies kept the day interesting despite some missed takes and plenty of shots at 40" plus fish in shallow water.

Surprising amount of sight fishing to be had! I only blind cast for the last hour in the rip. That spot is magical, glad we went.

Found a dead seal, not too old, with a very large semi-circular chunk of it's body missing. Kind of like a pogie with a bluefish bite but magnified 50x. :eyecrazy:

Large stunned sand eel phenomena going on, even the slow gulls feasting on sand eels unable to escape on the ebb tide. I wonder if this happens due to spawning activity? I've seen it every year, also in Pleasant Bay.

Wouldn't mind spending a whole weekend out there, so much more to explore out there than we could experience in a day.

Awesome trip, thanks John for pulling this together!

FishHawk
09-28-2003, 10:23 AM
What a great trip. Started the day off at the PX having breakfast with Adrian and Jim Sims. Then off to explore the new waters of North South Monomy. Great to see Chris and his brother .We fished some fishy looking water but no fish to be had. Should have followed Juro.:devil: Watched Fred land his big cow , what a fat fish. Saw lots of large fish on the flats , what an area.
Had a great time fishing with the Ironman and collected an old fishing plig for the CAC , hope it gets me in . Met Double haul nice to finally connect the face with the handle.
To sum it all up. We fished out of the box and large fish were caught. Great time with a good group of friends. Fishhawk

jimS
09-28-2003, 04:05 PM
John et al, thanks for arranging a great trip! Here are a couple of reflections on the trip: Incoming tide on the scalloped flat was like a magnet for some big cows. Sightfishing was difficult with the intermittent fog enveloping the flat. Had one hookup and two follows, but was satisfied under those conditions. Later in the day watching a hole during the flood from a high vantage point with Double Haul, it was educational to watch some large fish make a soree into shallow water and then back to the deep area.

Juro has piqued my interest in a two-handed rod for the surf. In fact, after spending some time with his two prototypes, my order is in for the 9/10 rod.

Congratulations to Fred for hooking and landing a nice fish. It wasn't a fluke, since he lost a similar size fish when it broke his tippet. As Juro will point out, it isn't necessarily the fly that hooks the fish, it is the presentation. Fred had that part mastered.

Simms

Dble Haul
09-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Well, car trouble reared its ugly head in the form of a bad intake. The Pathfinder is in the Chatham shop until at least mid-week when they can finally get to it, but Bert and I were able to get a rental car in Hyannis and were set for Sunday.

The fishing on the island surprised me a bit....I wasn't expecting so much sight fishing. It was disappointing to not see any action at the rip by the garbage can, but just seeing so many fish on that north side was great. I did manage to stick one of those larger fish that Bert, Jim and I were spotting from high on the bluff, but she came unbuttoned rather quickly. It's probably just as well, because it saved me from having to get down that steep enbankment to land it. Yeah, that's right....I meant to lose that fish. ;)

Great to meet some new folks....Jim and Fishhawk. Now I have faces to put with names.

Great seeing some people I hadn't seen since the shows...Juro, Chris, Drew, Fred, and of course Adrian, who I get to see on a more regular basis.

Thanks to John for the hospitality and extended help with the car problems. The CAC experience was complete, and Bert and I are grateful. By the way John, I think we made the right decision about not telling the others about that dozen fish we caught right at the dropoff point when everyone went their own way and we stayed. Best not to rub it in. :p

Adrian
09-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Great trip and a sight fishing bonus which I really wasn't expecting. It was a great area to fish with a lot of variety well within walking distance - wasome flats for sight fishing within 15 minutes of some really tasty looking rips.

I managed to pursuade a couple of sight cast stripers to taste my offering but couldn't get a hook-set.

Great to see everyone again - thanks John!

FredA
10-06-2003, 07:06 PM
John, I've had a few comments on that first pic "setting up on arrival". "Musta been a long boat ride" from my wife, "What are those guy's doing?" from my daughter, "you know they make those Depends for you old guys" from my son.

striblue
10-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Good one..Fred...But you can let them know that they were putting their gear down... as far as I could tell.