Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rhody Tomorrow for albies. Where?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mattb 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of making a day of it tomorrow and driving down to Rhody, the only question is where in Rhody?

Has anyone been fishing any of the likely suspects? I'm thinking of either newport/beavertail or the West Wall, possibly both.

I know it'll be hit or miss, but aside from the fish, how have the conditions been? Weed/mung especially.

If anyone's interested in hooking up, I'll be driving down earlyish and probably fishing most of the day from shore somewhere in rhody.

-Matt

#2 ·
Lots of albies in the area you spoke of this morning [Sat] however very few hook ups. I believe I saw four or five hooked, maybe three or four landed. Not too bad you say? Howbout the fact that were at least 30 to 40 guys fishing counting those coming and going. That's right folks, the word is out in a big way. That's why I won't be too specific here, not that I'm leaving much to the imagination.

Conditions weren't too bad. An east wind has been blowing so any shore line with east in it has surf, mung and sandy water. On the other hand, any place were an east wind blows away from shore is fairly calm and clean. Nuff said?

Bait of all kinds is spectacularly abundant every where from the Newport bridge to Weekapoug [how I far I traveled]. The large number of albies were feeding very heavily in some small, slow moving bait. I believe anchovies but can't be sure.

The albies were as tough to hook as they were abundant. I had my fly is several boiling blitzes that were so tight, I feared [hoped?] I would foul hook an albie. Nary a bump. My son had even more direct shots into the schools with a deadly dick also without result.

There were fish caught however and I believe one guy near my hooked up more than once implying to me he had a hot fly. Don't know what it was though.
Oh well, it least they're finally here! Good luck!

#3 ·
Thanks Mike, I kind of expected a crowd, but you really drove the point home. Maybe I'll have to skip the West Wall after all, with the crowds you mentioned it'll probably be a zoo... Maybe the crowds will thin out once the pats game comes on.

#4 ·
To answer my own question- Not the West Wall, Beavertail, or Newport.

I was at the wall for ~5 hours yesterday, and I saw one pod come up twice, both times about 250yds out. I checked out Beavertail and newport on the way home, both spots looked fishy, but the surf was very high and I decided to stay dry.

I spoke to a few guys at Beavertail, and they confirmed that there were bass and blues in the wash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.