Fly Fishing Forum banner

9/21 Block Island Sound

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mikez 
#1 · (Edited)
A TUNA TEASER...

Got started out of Point Judith around noon at high tide. Boat was running good and noticed improvements made over the summer. Water was abit murky but very calm as we headed out of the refuge, lots of people on the beach and the wall fishing or sunbathing. After running wide open for quiite awhile I found some birds and sporadic surface splashes out in the sound. Moved in alittle closer and had Brandon watch for bait. he sighted some when we got near the birds, he also found significant silver flashes down below. That was good enough for me, headed up wind shut the motor off and anchored on the spot. Within minutes two distinct groups of hardtails were bustin out in pusuit of bait spraying near us with birds diving at one group off the bow.
I was making sure that my boys lures were cast out prior to trying to cast a fly at them. We hadn't been at it long before the casting, birds and fish busting attracted more fisherman. Only one out of 8 was courteous enough to ease in on the edge of the area and let them swim around and cast out when they got near. Most all the others motored up and put them down hung around for a few minutes wondering where the went then speed off without a cast. Yet within minutes after they would leave the fish would start feeding again in the area. The day wouldn't be complete without one boater so oblivous to everyone else, coming through and messing up everyone. He balsted into the fish put them down then within seconds drove over our fishing lines and between another boat fishing there with us 150 feet away over their lines too. My 8 year old son was yelling at them for their disregard, and my 4 year old said "Daddy they scared the fish away.".

Well without a fish caught and observing the bait cloud and albies had moved east 50-75 yards it was time to move. I pulled anchor and tried to start the motor. Turned over fine, But no fire. Lost my ignition. Couldn't get it started to move back over the bait. Talk about being burned come all this way tuna busting just out of casting range and no power to get home. Fortunately a large cabin cruiser witnessed my troubles and offered my a tow back to port. Insult to injury was the fact that while under tow we had fish bustin next to us, and couldn't cast out.

We stopped once we hit the refuge and the captain wanted to tie my boat off to the side to tow in. It was a mistake I should have remained behind on the tow line. When wakes from other boats came the cabin cruiser would rise up and crush my craft, I pushed off from the side, But the current and forward speed pushed my boat under his. My railing popped and I have some new strees cracks to add to my assortment of old ones. Still beats paddling for miles though. I would like to thank the kind boaters that helped return me to port like Steve A. in his awesome Aussie Quixett craft for the tow through the bridge pilings to the ramp, as well as his help loading.

The Tuniods teased us out there, But will be back next weekend to chase them with a new ignition switch to boot. Maybe next time will hook up.

Greg.

See less See more
#2 ·
Greg - sounds like you were at the right place at the right time, and it's too bad the other boats couldn't have been a little more curtious. Feel bad for you and your sons - and they have to witness how rude "adults" can be. Sounds like Dad held his cool, and that's definitely something the kids will pick up on - a good lesson learned.

Hope you get 'em next time.

Dave

#4 ·
You know someone is being incredibly rude when it's obvious to a four year old kid.....:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your boat troubles. If karma works out, your next trip out there will be full of cooperative albies and respectful boaters (well, the first part is realistic).

#5 ·
Thanks guys, it was great timing and good fortune to have a willing boater heading back to port when your stuck out at sea. With the fish activity and all the bait I admit the thought of waiting a couple hours before flaggin someone else down crossed my mind. Besides all I'd have to do is cast frantically and run and point at the water and the boats would come out of nowhere to put those fish down. :hehe:

The boys really didn't understand what was happening it happened so fast. I barely had the cover off and the alert boaters turned hard to port and came my way watching my futile efforts to get spark.. They gave me a few minutes to try a couple other things. We were tied up and under way before they understood we needed any help.

Yea it was nice to be back with the boys in port safe and sound. We would have been home on time if we hadn't run into traffic from Patriots fans crashing and burning their vehicles on the highway. Another education scene for the boys to witness, multi mile highway backups, fireman dousing hot smouldering vehicles and people being taken away via ambulance.

A pretty exciting day with lots of sights and sounds.
Greg.

#7 ·
Hi Mike M.,

I think we got off with minimal damage to the boat, considering the abundance of stress cracks on the hull you wouldn't know anything happened, railing and holders are still seem pretty solid. I agree with the live and learn, I certainly won't let that happen again. Hopefully this experience serves as a lesson learned for some of our board members that are boaters as well.

It certainly wasn't one of our better trips, But we don't get discouraged that easily. We'll be back down to try out luck again, Thanks for the positive thought everyone, Hope to see you on the water soon.

Greg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.