Swift Revival [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swift Revival

BigDave
09-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Just retured with a couple of days camping and fishing central/western MA.

Saturday we fished the Swift where I was pleasantly surprised to see the population of fish up to their old tricks. Sipping micros from the surface film and occasionally rooting around on the bottom for larger fare. And ignoring anything and everything attached to a line of course. Fish were extremely difficult but caught a few and enjoyed the surroundings.

Camped Sat night with the hopes of low water on the Deerfield. Fooled again by the dam operators however - who only run low water from 10 pm to 6am nowadays. Atttempt number 5 to fish the river this year thwarted by high water. Highly disappointing.

So back to the Swift on Sunday where we found fish much more eager to take a fly. Caught many, including some wild brookies, capped off by Talented Willie's 20 incher. We noticed a few of these fish were missing a lip or had some kind of deformity around the mouth. If you fish the swift, please consider barbless hooks and don't overplay.

All in all a great start to the much-anticipated fall trout season :D

John Desjardins
09-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Dave were there any swarms of flying ants around. Its about the time of year for them to appear.

I've noticed the lip scarring on fish there as well. It makes one reconsider fishing catch and release areas.

BigDave
09-24-2003, 09:44 AM
John,

No ants although I tried fishng a drowned one with no success. I did notice some big underwater bugs that I had never seen there before. They looked kind of like a cicada but flat. Acutally had one grab one of my flies...saw a couple of bold rainbows rooting around in the deadfall at my feet presumably looking for one.

That is the first time I had seen the lip scarring on multiple fish. One of them had a brassie lodged in there so bad that I didn't want to stress the fish any further by removing it. I think it has a lot to do with people using tiny hooks with barbs that are nearly impossible to remove.