9/14 - Almost skunked on CT/RI coast [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 9/14 - Almost skunked on CT/RI coast

Quentin
09-15-2003, 07:05 PM
I took a ride to the coast yesterday, figuring that next weekend might be a total blowout. I started at Ocean Beach and then hit the usual spots from Napatree to Charlestown. The only action I saw was at Charlestown, where schools of blues were churning the water to a froth as they feasted on masses of peanut bunker. They were well beyong fly casting range but they did pass close enough to the breachway for some of the spin guys on the end of the jetty to connect. I also saw a squid dunker nail a 36" striper inside the breachway. The surf was pretty rough, which made sight fishing along the beaches virtually impossible. Since there was nothing showing on top I decided not to subject myself to the frustrations of blind-casting into the wind and waves. I took the long way home and stopped by Niantic to see if I could salvage the day with a few shad, but they weren't cooperating either. Before heading back north, I made one last stop at the Old Saybrook causeway and managed to catch one miniature striper to prevent a total skunking.

It was definitely one of those "shoulda been here yesterday" days, as I heard many tales of blitzes along the RI beaches.

Q

FishHawk
09-16-2003, 06:17 AM
Talked to a flyfisherman from Conn. who told me that Harding's beach had a tremendous bluefish blitz on Fri. the 12th. Everyone hooked up. He lost count of how many blues he caught. Blitz lasted from 5 to 8 pm. And so it goes in fishing. Sould have been here yesterday.
FishHawk:rolleyes:

Dble Haul
09-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Bert and I did a sundown to sunrise stint this weekend in Niantic aboard his driftboat in the back bay and caught an absolutely OBSCENE amount of shad in the dark. It poured and poured, and we didn't care.

I came home Sunday morning at about 6 smelling of fish and was sent to the shower before climbing into bed.

We'll be talking about that one for quite some time.