Fly Fishing Forum banner

The bass took a beating...

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Slinger 
#1 ·
... at Watch Hill Friday night through Saturday morning.
I saw more dried out stiff striper carcasses leaving the Lighthouse than I have seen in a long time. Keepers were abundant and many, many guys took advantage of the two fish limit.
Seemed a shame to me, but judging by the enthusiasm and photo snapping, alot of these younger guys probably never had a night like that before. When I heard them bragging on their "Big" fish, I was tempted to point out that 30 - 34 inch stripers really aren't that big [guess I've got a mean streak]. I let them relish their glory instead.
It did rankle me a bit when I got back to my car and some guy said "You're the first guy to come back empty handed!" After rejecting the first reply that came to mind, I simply pointed out that I was the only one smart enough to spare myself that long climb carrying heavy dead fish [been there, done that. I'm too old for that]

On the brighter side, I did manage to be the only one landing a few of those keepers on flies. It was tough work though. There was no casting flies into the east wind. Luckily, or not so lucky, a huge school of bass had a bizzilion peanuts cornered in the cove on the lee side. Problem was, there was so much bait, it was highly frustrating trying to interest the fish in artificials. I managed a few by blind persistence, but it was nerve wracking! Just for the fun of it, I waded right into the middle of the blitz after dark. I waded through a solid sea of bunker. Spraying bait constantly landed in my stripping basket. Good sized bass bumped into my legs several times [THAT was un-nerving after having seen that video clip from Shark Week where the guy get his calf removed by a hungry shark!]

Despite the awe inspiring feeding behavoir, it was very very hard to get a hit. The plug guys stopped, made a few casts and when they got no hook ups, they just headed out to the wind and wave tossed point where the whitewater made the bass easier to hook [but not for fly guys]. I stayed with the school for a couple of hours. I mostly had them to myself. Well, I didn't exactly HAVE them, more like I hung out with them while they gorged and ignored my flies. Still, it was fun to watch.

PS Don't tell anyone, but, I eventually went back for the plugging rod and headed for the whitewater. Lets just say it wasn't lack of keepers that caused me to leave empty handed.;)

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow Mike! Sick as a dog and up all night fishing. True to the sport! I was hoping to find you at the Weekapaug Jetty. A Bluefish blitz was in full swing when I arrived at 5:45 am and only lasted half an hour. They would not touch my feathers.
I went directly into the surf placing casts into feeding fish. The jetty was crammed with spinners and all were hooking up. My chances would have been better from the rocks but chances are I would have hooked a few fisherman in the process! Saw two birds hooked and bought to hand. Both flew away. I left frusrated at 7:30am.

#5 ·
So that was you I saw leaving as I pulled in. I got there comming from the East and Mike pulled in shortly after from the West. Lets just say the bass ate the beach all over south county Fri. night. On the tuna front things look bleak. No albies yet and if they`re not here by now it`s doubtful they`ll show at all.
Slinger

#6 ·
Slinger,
What are you going to do if you don't get your yearly Albie fix??? It is going to be a very LONG winter for you if they don't show isn't it??? :D . I hope they show for your sake and everyone else would not be a normal fall without the Albies in attendance. I am thnking the same thing though, the later it gets the less chance there is for any good Albie fishing.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

#8 ·
Bonefishmon, it was a funny thing, but once I got out of my car and smelt the salty breeze and heard the surf, I felt much better! Sorry I missed you at Weekapoug. Next time push those surf casters away with a few false casts close to their ears.

Slinger, do'nt despair just yet. If we get a break in the weather long enough for the water to clear, I think albies will find all that bait. Besides, I hear the local whitetail population has put a plea into the weather Gods to bring back the albies so the deer can get some peace this fall.

Sean, did you say you'll be breaking out your fishing gear AFTER the wedding? I don't think so!!!

#9 ·
When a man stands at the altar he hears the words"I do " what the woman hears is "I surrender".
Mike, I`ll just have to fill the void with bass, the surf is filled with them now.
I tried to take the boat out by the West Wall this morning but even standing I couldn`t see over the swells so I headed back inside the harbor of refuge and took a tour of Salt Pond.
Hey Sean, Conn. deer season starts tomorrow hint ,hint.
It`s been 3 days of big surf and the predictions are for 10 ft. and higher as the hurricane approaches.
Slinger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.