Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hurricane Isabel

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Thanks John, nope the issue is timing of the tide. We won't see the rip, but who knows with this being migration time one never knows what might happen at incoming, mid, high, whatever.

It will be fun to have the get together regardless - winter is looooong around here.

#6 · (Edited)
OK..I remember now... I looked at the 20th and saw it was not a big tide... and then looked at the 27th and saw it was a minus tide with a high at around 1... but we will be into an outgoing all afternoon but low is at around 7:30 pm... it will really start to move at the last half of outgoing. so basically we will have the first 3 hours of outgoing...Unless, of course, I can convince keith to extend the pick up to 7.????????????:devil: ...Supplement... according to the current track..Florida may be out of the woods... the mid States need to watch...but the forcast says.. New England must "really" watch as the high pressure move south at sea is creating a highway smack into us and states south of us.

#8 ·
John- I don't want us to take advatage of Kieth's good nature, but I'd be willing to spend a bit more if it means we can get a few more hours out there on the 27th. One more thing to consider is that now it's getting dark at about 7:30, so by then it will be even sooner.

But then again I've never been out there, so any time spent is good time. :)

#14 ·
Fishhawk,

I agree with the logic of avoiding weather, the nemesis of this event. Also, I am all for a get together in one of the finest little patches of sand on earth with a great bunch of guys.

I would however say that we've gathered a reasonable amount of information over the years to know that the fish always accumulate in an ambush position close to shore when there is bait in the area that gets driven in the longhsore current of the advanced ebb. This has happened every time, to varying degrees of intensity.

All other aspects of this fishery have been unpredictable, unreliable or uneventful. So if we go on that date, we gamble with away a well-known angling situation for weather criteria and other schedule conveniences. I wouldn't take clients out on the flats on the wrong tide to see if we happen to get lucky, but that's a different situation.

That being said, we could get lucky, and it's better to be lucky than good or in this case blown off the water. Whatever it does out there it will be fun.

#15 ·
:( Read in The Providence Sunday paper that a fisherman was swept to his death at Beavertail Point on Jamestown RI. This weekend. Sad!, and the hurricane hasn't even got close. The surf was rough when I was down to Charlestown this past friday. Bass, blues, blitz Friday afternoon. I did not see any false albacore though. The blues were doing a job on the bait. Sand eels, Bunker, 3/4 "Shad, 2" Silversides. Juro, after this week, if you want to go fishing PM me. I can put you in Bass, and Blues.I should have started a new thread, but I am lazy. Tired from some hard fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.