From above or from below? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: From above or from below?

andrew
09-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Just curious, what do people think gives a "flatter" fly presentation on the water, threading the tippet through the hook eye from below or from on top. Does either approach prevent the fly from doing the occassional headstand, or is that more due to a need to mend the line...

Just curious....:D

Winndknot
09-13-2003, 01:40 AM
doesn't make much of a difference because the knot comes straight out of the eye of the hook.

Just make sure it's in the water!!!

Good luck.

BobK
09-13-2003, 07:02 AM
With the line able to turn any way it wants, I don't think it makes a difference. I just put 'em on whichever way is easier for the particular fly I'm using!

BobK:rolleyes:

DEERHAAWK
09-16-2003, 12:24 AM
Andrew,
Always from the bottom, 4 wraps CLOCKWISE. I believe it makes the "Face" sit a little prouder in the water, less likley to "Plow" or "Barge" when it comes round down stream. This also helps when stillwater fishing, as there is more surface film that can realy "muck up" your fly.
JMHOFWIW
Deerhawk

andrew
09-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Deerhawk, thanks for the input. As to your reccomendation of four turns - I have traditionally (for the extensive two years that I have now been flyfishing(!)) used a ten twist approach - this is with 4x up to 7x tippet. For both dries and nymphs. Do you think 4 turns is enough?

Robert Burton
09-23-2003, 09:50 PM
I always thought it was 7 wraps (never twist)

andrew
09-24-2003, 08:33 PM
number of twists seems to be personal preference. When salt water fishing with my 10 weight I use 5 or 6 twists on line - whatever works - if knot holds - that is probably the right number of twists for you and the tippet you're using...

BobK
09-25-2003, 08:52 AM
Actually, you are supposed to use more twists on a smaller diameter line. (Within reason, of course!).

Read that somewhere once, and it works for me. That's based on experience, not on any theory or lab data.

BobK:smokin: