: Flatwing half and half

Dble Haul
09-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Hook: Saltwater 2/0
Thread: Chartruese 3/0
Eyes: Dumbell (gold real eyez)
Tail: Two chartruese over one olive saddle hackles, tied flatwing style
Belly: Sparse bucktail, olive over chartruese
Wing flash: Pearl krystal flash, peacock krystal flash (long)
Wing: Sparse olive bucktail
Head: 5 minute epoxy

Overall fly length is about 7 inches.

I think I might test drive a few of these on the Rip Trip. :)

saltydog
09-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Heres a FLATWING HALF/HALF I did last season. worked great for me, did not use dumbell eyes to keep it as a true flatwing, but did use a 250gr line to get it down to an keep the true flatwing action. seems everyone loves half/half's.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN" :smokin:

joe wojtan
09-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by saltydog
Heres a FLATWING HALF/HALF I did last season. worked great for me, did not use dumbell eyes to keep it as a true flatwing, but did use a 250gr line to get it down to an keep the true flatwing action. seems everyone loves half/half's.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN" :smokin:

Saltydog
Good looking flatwing, I noticed that your pictures are much bigger now, than in the past, see a lot more detail now.
Joe

Slinger
09-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Not to be picky but the definition of a half/half is Clouser eyes with a deciever tail. With either missing it is not a half/half, it`s somthing else.
Slinger

Dble Haul
09-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Yes Steve, I acknowledge that. That's why I called it a flatwing half and half, to describe how the tail feathers were tied in flatwing style as opposed to the usual praying hands style of the deceiver. Didn't really know what else to call it.

I would call Saltydog's fly a flatwing deceiver because it doesn't have the clouser eyes.

Smcdermott
09-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Dble Haul,

Just wondering what the theory was behind tieing in flat wing style? I have always understood the idea behind a flat wing was to give the fly depth w/o using a lot of material given the feathers would move up and down in the water. If you are looking to try and imitate a sand eel, which I am assuming given the small size of the head of the fly, why not tie in traditionally to get the side to side tail wiggle action?

Sean

Dble Haul
09-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Sean, I had no theory when tying this. I was just sort of messing around in the tying lab so to speak and wondered how this configuration would work. That's why I hinted about giving them a test drive....I've never even seen them wet before.

Tying them flatwing style should give them an up and down motion in the water. I also have some tied up as traditional half and halfs with these same long hackles tied praying hands style for the side to side action.

As Penguin always says.....WeShallSee! :)

saltydog
09-10-2003, 03:10 PM
JOE, starting to get better,heres one of my real HALF/HALF'S
BIG as usual
4/0 eagle claw 254
schlapin olive feather
flash is green, silver, gold.
white deer hair bellie
olive back
deep sea eyes w/ molded 3d eye on top.
lenth-6-7"
got to love'em