South Beach-Sept 6--BIG surf and some Pictures [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Beach-Sept 6--BIG surf and some Pictures

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Headed out on the Rip Ryder after the first batch of guys... Met up with ScottsPhil and Dave Pearson... Also ran into Ron...who never fishes south beach, but is usually always on North Monomoy. I intended to fish the surf... But no way.. I don't remember such a large surf on a relatively calm day with a steady north wind at about 15 to 20.. The breakers were at least 10 to 12 feet, maybe more.... Numerious wash thoughs ,including at the drop off. Dave hit a couple fish and Phil got his first Striper... great day.. I took off and took pictures... here are some ..the first is the wash though at the drop off looking north... the little current you see was knee deep and almost knocked me down.( If it was Dave Fix we would have had to call the Coast Guard)...just kidding Dave!

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Breakers on south beach:

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Sorry..here it is:

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:19 PM
I don't know what I am doing:

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:22 PM
This is what I walked into... the berms are all gone and this is at the pebble beach...All flat now!

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Looking back toward North Monomoy:

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Looking North along the beach:

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Big breakers ... these are bigger than the pictures show.

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Looking north again... captured this shot and it is hard to see the bend which leads to the Light house beach ,because the ocean is so high:

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Looking back to North Monomoy from another location... I don't think there was a dry patch on south beach except for some high points.

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Looking south... from a high point.

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:48 PM
ScotsPhil...............

striblue
09-06-2003, 02:54 PM
...Normandy beach... France... 1944.... Two unidentified GI's watching each others back... no.. it's Phil and Dave Pearson watching for sharks among the seals. "Phil, I don't know what they have in Scotland.. but you should see the big nasty ones that can sneak up on you out here"...Naturally , I ignored the perceived danger and continued to fish...but... that's me:devil:

striblue
09-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Finally and My last picture..I promise.... is "North Monomoy Ron"... seen on south beach.. this is for the archives so he can never say that he "never" fishes South beach. A great guy I have know for years...I asked him to put his hat on for the photo because he looked like some sea creature emerging from the depths... and scared the bejesus out of me when he came up behind me... he took the chance because he figued it had to be me since I was the only person out there without waders.... and an original Rip Ryder passenger.

Jim Miller
09-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Fantastic Shots!
Do you think the S. Beach inlet or Chatham Inlet have changed?
You gotta love nature in all it's power!
Hey....how about trolling behind a boogie board?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jfbasser
09-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Great Shots. I was wondering why my daughter went right to bed after returning from a day of surfing:D

Jimmy
09-07-2003, 12:40 PM
:whoa: Reminds me of a day in July. I was wondering. Is the surf strong enough to make any dramatic changes around the lifht house?

FrenchCreek
09-07-2003, 10:33 PM
It's hard to belive this is the same Southbeach I was on a few weeks ago, The water was literraly flat, a wave was 8 inches at best. I bet the breakers in your pictures would swallow a whale real quick!

DFix
09-18-2003, 10:52 AM
((just getting caught up)(also to bump this up to current status)) That's an awesome set of photos!

So, short of razzing me about being in water over my head in the new breakthrough, you're telling us the whole face of that spit is changed? - I don't know this Pebble Beach - is it close by the drop-off?

Considering you'll be in Chatham this weekend, (a) what do you foresee the landscape looking like after this Isabel swell blows through, and (b) do you think you'll get a shot at new pics of the landscape???

Thanks again for the photo tour.

Dble Haul
09-18-2003, 01:17 PM
John is actually in several of those pictures.....he's wearing his invisible waders.

:p

striblue
09-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Mark is right..I can never fool him... I have those waders... but that's for another post.... Dave,Thanks... I intend to put a new post up tomorrow.. myplan is to get to the light house around 6 and walk all the way to the drop off and take a tonof picturers... I think the surf will even be higher than those in the photos... I am not sure what long term effect will be... winddoes fill in canal going though so it will be hard to figure out the final out come... but there are "thin" . spots on south beach... in fact the dune build up down south beach to the south is not very old... so there will be changes... and probably some significant ones by spring.

ScotsPhil
09-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Well, I've now returned to Scotland and am back at work......shame, they cried as one. I'd like to thank Dave for his guidance and patience during my day out and also thank John for taking the time to meet and greet me. You're two gentlemen of the surf!!!

Although I only managed one Striper and lost a good one I had a great day. If the weather had played ball then I suspect the water would have been clearer and I may have spotted some of the dozens of fish Dave did!!! I may even have caught more, who knows.

However, like Gen Macarthur I shall return.

Tight lines to you all.