Fly Fishing Forum banner

Vancouver Area Recommendations?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kush 
#1 ·
I will be visiting Vancouver BC from Sept 10 - 15 and am looking to spend a day or two fishing the waters. I need your help. I would like to keep Van my home base so the Skeena is out.......

AD

#2 ·
Andre, with the fire situation in BC, all off road travel south of Prince George is closed. The Fraser River is probably your best bet. There is a huge number of Pinks and late Socks around. The early Coho are showing. If you are looking for more detailed information email me at: mrmcclure@shaw.ca

#3 ·
As BeBop mentioned,there is almost a full closure on all off road travel to most of southern BC(from about 100 mile house south).The only exceptions right now are a few Industrial access areas and some provincial park campsites(but all trails and travel in the areas are closed) and private property/lodges.

Almost everywhere is either off limits or severely restricted,even places like the Squamish and Upper Vedder.It's that bad.

The Fraser/Harrison areas are about the only real option right now until we get some serious rain.

For some updated info on road closures see www.for.gov.bc.ca/DSQ/Engineering/roadinformation.htm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but our province is having one of the worst years in history right now and EVERYONE MUST follow these rules.

#5 ·
Andre, Leighton is open and is fishing really well. There is access from either Tunkwa or the Leighton campground. If you decide to lake fish, try chromies size 12/14 and Leighton Damsels.

Word this morning is that the Vedder has been opened for Pinks below Vedder Crossing.

#6 ·
I believe Vancouver Island is under the same restrictions,but there are some places that you can go to.I would recommend checking first though.

Places that have provincial parks or campsites,like lakes like Leighton or Tunkwa are currently open,but travel is restricted to the main road,the campsite,and lake.Access is restricted to the trails or other roads for example.

It's an EXTREMELY confusing situation for everyone and most locals still don't have a clue where they can and can not go.

For example the Upper Skagit/Ross Lake has been open for the past few weeks because there is a provincial campsite there,but it has just been closed due to incresing fire risk.Other provincial campsites may follow this trend if things continue to worsen so check it out before going.

It pays to check with the road info that I gave you the link to,as well as email them about certain places,just to make sure.I would also recommend phoning any fishing shops in the general areas of the places you may want to go to make sure they are open.

The fines are heavy for those who don't follow the rules,and it's very easy to get confused.

#8 ·
frhugh,

The restrictions are off - no problems. However, your problem may exist in another form. If you are planning to base yourself in Vancouver in October you will have a hard time finding steelhead. The closest river with steelhead in October is the Thompson - a 3 hour drive - but, as of now it is closed and doesn't look too good for opening anytime soon :mad:

If you are coming to BC to fish for steelhead in October you need to be in Skeena country! That is at least a 15 hr drive away from Vancouver. You would want to base yourself out of Smithers of Terrace - not Vancouver.

I hope you can work it out - Skeena country is awesome.

#10 ·
There are salmon around locally. Coho will be available as well as fresh chums. I would suggest contacting local Flyshops like Michael & Young or Anglers West for reports, directions, licenses, flies etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.