Sb 8/29-8/30 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sb 8/29-8/30

BigDave
09-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Decided to ditch work for the day on Friday and take advantage of the weather for some late-season flats action :devil:

Although conditions were near perfect on Friday I did not see many fish until 2-3 hours into the day. Finally saw a flash in deeper water, cast and hooked up to a 33". Saw many larger fish lurking as well as schoolies. A soon as the tide picked up they moved and I could not find them for a couple of hours. Found fish again towards the end of the day but didn't land anything large.

Went out for dinner at Lucious Louies. No belly clams because the are OUT OF SEASON! What's up with that :confused: Fall must be on the way...

Saturday was overcast and windy and I could not find the pods of big fish where I had found them the day before. Despite the poor visibility I started seeing flashes again towards high tide. From then on I had a parade of fish swimming by me for the better part of 2 hours. Flashing, breaking on top chasing bait, swimming around my legs. They were on small bait (I saw a lot of peanuts and silversides) and tough to fool by matching the hatch. Fared much better when I switched over to a large fly.

Great way to spend the weekend and good to see fish still on the flats.

striblue
09-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Another Great report from you Dave... a great day. I hope Fabian does not cut the season short for us... although it would be a fitting end to an odd weather summer.