Unbelievable !!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Unbelievable !!!

Slinger
09-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Launched at Great Island this morning at 7. From the time we Rounded the West Wall we were in pods of bonito. From the Wall to Deep Hole was school after school of fish driving huge waves of bait. At times we had Bones on all four sides of the boat at once and whats more we had this all to ourselves, there was only one other boat to be seen. When I called Capt.Ray he could hear the bait and fish over the phone!You would think that there would be numerous pics of big fish being held up by bigger fish, but alas it was not to be. For 6 hours we had shot after shot at Bones and they just laughed at us. I could have clubbed them with the paddle, I could have klunked them with the anchor, I even could have speared them with my useless rod but for the life of me I could not make them hit a fly!Up, down, fast,slow, big, small nothing worked. After 6 hrs. when the tide slacked they left and Jerry and I were left muttering and swearing to take up golf. I have never been so thoroughly rejected and dejected by anything that swims!
Slinger

jfbasser
09-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Good to hear from you Slinger. Thought you were catching up on some Sleep:D

Slinger
09-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Spent most of Sat. standing on Weekapaug with Sean and Jerry while the fish swam by 300 yds. out in front and thumbed thier noses at us. This is not shaping up to be a banner tuna season for me!
Slinger

Nick
09-02-2003, 09:59 AM
K....A...Y...A...K... ;)

mikez
09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Well at least I don't feel so bad about missing this weekend due to work.
I could smell the fish on that SW breeze on Saturday and was positively quivering with repressed fish cravings.
But now that I know even you couldn't get them to hit, I'm content knowing there was no way in hell that I would have got one to hit!

Lefty
09-02-2003, 12:36 PM
I can relate to the feeling. Frustrating is right.

jfbasser
09-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Could be attributable to the "factory seconds" cross-cut bunny:D

It is well known that they will not come within 500 yards of that stuff. Something to do with the odor.

SeaMonkey
09-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Yeah, that second rate bunny will do it every time. Has to be free-range, organically fed by hand, grade A bunny. I find the Himalayan bunny raised by Tibetan monks to be the best. My hookup ratio has skyrocketed since tying with that stuff.

jfbasser
09-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Your right Seamonkey! I will pick some of that hand fed bunny on my next trip to Nepal.

Striper
09-02-2003, 05:05 PM
Slinger,
Let me just say that there are other areas in South County besides Weekapaug and you would have had the beach and the fish all to your self. When in doubt I always take to the road and look at other areas up in RI. I was there both Sunday and Monday and can tell you that the fish were around many places that the fisherman were not. On Monday I witnessed the mother of all beach blitzes at WH beach (where you enter the beach on the east end closest to Misquamicut) , the fish were right in the wash and the boat was constantly being thrown towards the white sandy beach we were so close. The schools of bait were so thick that I could not see the bottom. There was bass, Blues, Frigate mackerel, and Bones all in the mix. Ask Big Dave about the adventure he can attest to the scene.

Mike M.