flylines [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: flylines

flyboy96001
08-26-2003, 03:13 PM
has anybody tried the 555 wf floating , is it as bouyant as cortland says. I'm looking fo a new line - the s.a. xps sinks after about 3 months, same with the wonderline, I like the rio steelhead taper but theres too much belly for small to med. streams. I don't want to buy a line just to find out it sucks, I want something that floats high for quick line recovery , loads quick and shoots like an arrow (don"t we all) any suggestions?

flytyer
08-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Why not use the RIO Windcutter for single-hand rod? Or the RIOGrand from RIO? The RIOGrand will defintely load a rod at short to medium casting distances. And the Windcutter is a superb casting line that is very good at distance casting as well.

BobK
08-26-2003, 09:03 PM
I get mad at lines that don't float well - all the way to the tip! Tried 555, and my personal impression is it's not better (as far as I can tell) then the others.

And, I even put a couple of coats of aqua-seal on the tip of the line/leader connection. and clean/dress them before and after each use. I'm still not happy with so-called "floating" lines.

BobK

Midgeman
09-03-2003, 12:37 PM
My 5wt 555 isn't a huge improvement over other lines for bouyancy (maybe just slightly better than the 444). The weight of a tapered leader w/o floatant does drop the tip section under the surface. By treating the last 6' feet of line and the first foot or two of leader with floatant I get a pretty good float (but that would work for any line). The 555 is stiff and shoots well but the stiffness causes considerable memory. For my primarly stillwater use if I strip 50' of line onto the apron it looks like I just dumped a new package of line out of the box. Once the memory is removed by stretching/heating the line with long strips through a tightly gripped hand it does handle better than any other lines I've used (444, Orvis Wonderwhy, SA GPX). Minimal tangling and knots. My next try will be a Rio. What the heck!

loco_alto
09-03-2003, 01:55 PM
In an era of fancy lines, there are two standby lines that I like:

Orvis Hy-Float - why did they stop making DT versions?
Cortland 444 SL - floats high, much slicker when wet

I also have a RIO classic, which casts great, but has too much memory and doesn't float as high as the others

dewey
09-03-2003, 04:20 PM
I like the 555 except for the memory issue, which can stink if it's really cold. Mostly it shoots quite well. It's also quite a bit more durable than the 444. I'm going on 1 3/4 seasons with the 555 whereas the 444 was one and done on my everyday 5 wt.