RPLXi to be discontinued [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RPLXi to be discontinued

JohnM
08-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Just heard that the Sage RPLXi will be getting discontinued...not sure what will be replacing it although I thought I heard they will be doing something with the XP....

striblue
08-25-2003, 05:06 PM
John...I wonder if that might have something to do with Lefty Kreh leaving Sage and going to Temple Fork???????

JohnM
08-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Not sure about that...there has been a lot of "personality" changes in the flyfishing industry this year...My first impression is that they felt they had too much cross-over with the XP's and did not want to run two production lines...

jfbasser
08-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Bears Den says there is a replacement in the offing....something like "Xi2", ....6 bills plus... faster lighter

sean
08-25-2003, 05:37 PM
That sucks. I was just about to buy one for striper fishing next year...

I really do not want a faster rod. I like the RPLXIs just fine and think they are the best saltwater rod on the market. However seeing that the majority of the fly fishing crowd assumes faster = better I guess I cannot blame sage for getting rid of it. They have the new winstons to compete with...

Maybe they are planning to do something along the lines of what they did bringing out the SLT. I was skeptical at first cause I thought the SPs were nice but I was pleasently surprised with the SLT 3 weight I just picked up. A very nice progressive medium fast rod. Reminds me of the old sage LLs with a little more backbone.

I hope they try and keep the sweet RPLXI action and are mainly planning a graphite upgrade.

If not I am gonna have to pick up a bunch when they go on sale.
:smokin:

-sean

striblue
08-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Well, to be quite frank with all you guys that own the RPLXi....take care of it because t will be one of the great rods historically....so take care of it... and in ten years...yes you will have one that is hard to come by....

Eddie
08-25-2003, 06:34 PM
People said the same thing about RPLX. People still cry about it. The LL too. Last year, Sage even made a special edition re-release of the LL 3 weight. I doubt anyone loved it enough to buy it.
It's funny, because Winston makes(now discontinued) a RPLX clone (XTR), and the heavier Scott S3's have a distinct RPLXi quality. Sage moves on.
Sage doesn't make too many mistakes. The SPL was a little weird, and the SP+ was uncastable to most.
The RPLXi is a terrific rod and I don't doubt that the Xi2 will also be great.

sean
08-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Hey I bought the re-release LL :rolleyes:

I have no doubt it will be a great rod. Will probably buy one...

It is sad to see her go though.

-sean

Greg Pavlov
08-25-2003, 10:48 PM
If not I am gonna have to pick up a bunch when they go on sale.
They alredy have.

bonefishmon
08-26-2003, 12:59 AM
OK Rod. You've spilled the beans! Now tell us where the best deals are. I've been wanting to get rid of my line, mismatched Nautikos since braking the GL3 9 wt.! Tired of throwing a 10 wt. line to load it. Maybe it's time for another equity line of credit for five of those Sage rods.

Phil

steelheadmike
08-26-2003, 10:49 AM
On the bright side there will be pleanty of closeout sales ... that means we can stock up on all those rods we really dont need but have to have because they are so cheap.

:D

Sound Dog
08-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Have a pretty good handle on this ..... I think.
A few things have brought about the RPLXI line - up changes.
There has been models in 2, 3 & 5 pc . The 2 & 3 were of grahite III. THe 5 is IIIe. A significant difference when you compare them side by side.
The '04 sage catalog is out so, the mystery is over. The new line will be of the grapphite IIIe composite in 4 pc. As well the TCR line has been expanded for that "real fast thing".

And there are deals out there.... I need to go shoppin

Eddie
08-26-2003, 03:15 PM
If the 5pc remains, I bet it will be the same rod with a different color. They did that with the 5pc Sp and STS.

striblue
08-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Don't forget the discontinued Winston BL-5... a great rod.... down to $450 from $700....I would pay the $450...

bonefishmon
08-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Too late. Just bought an RPLXi 996-3 online for $430.00 shipped. Local shop did not have the 9"6"er. Brown truck, then Chatham! Just in time for the fall migration. John Morin. I'll let you know which Friday I'll be coming. Missed my chance to meet you at the Clave.

Phil

Sound Dog
08-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Think the 4 pc is it. Wouldnt think the bean counters could justify a 4 pc and 5 pc.

The new XI - II blue is a bit different. (note: coming from a 1/2 color blind person )

Picked up a spare 9wt 2pc boat guest rod at 30% the other day. They seem to get pretty abused over the next couple of months.

juro
08-28-2003, 11:27 AM
It goes without saying that I'm a CND man for two-handers but my favorite single-handed rods are Sage all the way and I wouldn't want to be without my RPLXi's for saltwater in the 8wt 5pc and 9wt 3pc models. One travels for bones, the other stays home for stripers. Su-weet rods indeed.

The 8' 6" 8wt RPL was my standard steelhead rod for years, still a sweetheart with the SA Mastery line although I get little opportunity to use it anymore. That model is still around as the VPS 896-2 as I understand it. About the perfect single hand rod for steelhead from my perspective, although sometimes under-gunned for winter fish.

I had a thing going with the LL as well, I used a demo 3wt 7' something inch model for a season of brookie fishing in New England streams and it was perfect. It sure wasn't a windy lake rod, but it was as sweet of a stream fishing tool as I've ever tried and great for fine tippets and keeping fish on in tight places.

I hope the replacements live up to the castability of the RPLXi.

flysully
08-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Sage RPLXi rod: My opinion: It's an OK rod.....I love the way it casts. In fact, that's why I bought it after trying it on a guide boat casting for bonito/albies on MVineyard. However, after owning the rod, I found it separates at the ferrules no matter how I tighten it. Yes, I've done the 1/4 turn, I've done the paraffin and I've even jammed it into the ferrule. Come a bluefish blitz or some frantic casting opportunity, the rod gets loose and I've broken either the tip or second section three times. At $30 a crack return handling fee, it's getting to be exasperating. I've talked to Sage's tech rep. He offered no help but did say he wouldn't send me a new rod. "Sage only repairs their rods; they don't replace them". You might say I'm kind of a dissatisfied customer. Because of my problems with this rod, my fishing buddy told me he wouldn't even consider purchasing a Sage rod. He's seen the rod tip or second section just flop into the water after casting. Have you ever tried to "handline" in an albie or bonito when your rod tip is somewhere out there in the water with an albie on the end of the line? Talk about frustration! The flyfishing world welcomes an improvement to the RPLXi series!

capt shiner
08-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Flysully: I had the same thing happen to me last week. Big bluefish surrounding the boat, I launch a cast and the tip of my 10 wt rplxi goes into the middle of the blitz:eek: Of course I hook a fish, fight it using the bottom section only and just before I was able to grab the tip, another blue devil eats the albright knot to my wire!! Needless to say the tip is gone. I called Sage and they told me to send what I have left back to them. I'll keep you posted as to what happens.