One river [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: One river

D3Smartie
08-20-2003, 12:22 AM
If you had to choose one steelhead river between Seattle and San Fransico to fish in the next 2 days what would it be?

I am going to be driving back to L.A. and have to make a choice where to fish.
Thank you for the help.
DS

SparseHairHackl
08-20-2003, 01:50 AM
EeeeZzzz...

A little-known river with no history, no famous camps, easy wading, with an ugly hotel with bad food right next to the most famous water, really bad access, tiny fish, far from any path you might take on the drive south...

If you can't find a river like that, you might try a popular river between Crater Lake and Roseburg. I know that's where I'd go.

--Bill

KerryS
08-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Rogue River

JDJones
08-20-2003, 11:19 AM
:D

Pnwflyfisher
08-20-2003, 12:25 PM
it's no secret..... the Cowlitz:rolleyes:

fredaevans
08-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Rogue has something like 7,000 + summer steelhead in the top 30 miles of river. Problem is the buggers are spread from hell to breakfast in the river due to (for this time of year) unusually high water flow. The water is running clear so that won't effect you choice of gear.

If you do hit the Rogue, go up to the top end below the hatchery area or below the Tou Velle Park boat launch. From I-5 the first is about a 35-40 minute drive, the second about 10 minutes from the freeway.
fae

Forgot to add: the river is getting very little fishing pressure so I'd be surprised if you saw a dozen guys in that 30 mile section of river on a weekday. Weekend, not much 'worse.'

flytyer
08-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Fred,

And those of us living in Northern Puget Sound are supposed to feel bad for you because out of all those fish you cannot get one to bite!

fredaevans
08-21-2003, 02:49 AM
Just kidding. Jimmie Jones and I (plus a couple of other fellows) pounded Casey Park tonight. Fish rolling, jumping, ZAP THOSE SOB'S with a ray gun ....

Jim had a hell of a fish on, and it broke him off. I, the fumble finger King of the Rogue, flat missed a strike that darned near ripped the rod out of my hand (why don't these twits just hook themselves so we can all get on with the next few minutes???), one other fellow, per Jim, below us hooked/landed a nice fish.

Really (I'm a sick puppy here) looking into the water 20'ish feet out from you ( no kidding!) and seeing the fish nosing up behind some bloody rock ... and you, short of a hand gernade, can't get them to "CHOMP" on a fly.

Sigh ................ I think I'll pour another double single.

:eek: :mad:

Hammer
09-05-2003, 01:59 AM
whatcha feeding those fish,,,are you indicating? or swinging, the otis bug still IN ?,it's been way warm on the middle here and they're spooky,just a quick tug to see and that's IT!,,,well,it's GOTTA cool off!!!:smokin: