Chatham TUNA Report-Aug 18--Great Morning! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham TUNA Report-Aug 18--Great Morning!

striblue
08-19-2003, 12:33 PM
Headed out of Ryders Cove at 4:30 Am... to about 20 miles off shore....Whales, birds and bait... breaking Tuna...Boated 3...I was with my sons Girlfriend's Dad....He trolled big rigs and landed one on that... then we run and gunned with light tackle spinning rods with sluggo's.... No fly rod...when In Rome do as the Roman's do..but no regrets... Long fight, crampped arms on short spinning rods.... 30 pound braided monom and 2 foot 60 pound test tipett. A day to remember... anxious to get out again with a 14 .weight

Dble Haul
08-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Awesome!!!

craig
08-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Nice job John, congrats on the tuna, I have always wanted to hook onto one of those. Maybe someday, by the way, what size boat were you in and how rough where the sea's, 20 miles out?

JimW
08-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Way to go!
Nice fish.
Now that you landed one of those bad boys, the bonito will be like catching a shad instead of a 16lb Blue.

striblue
08-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Craig..I think it was a 25 footer and the seas were calm..but got a little choppy with long low swells... here is the other fish at my feet caught by the Captain...Bigger...

striblue
08-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Here is another.

striblue
08-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Whale....

striblue
08-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Here it is...

striblue
08-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Sun Rise.......

Bigcat
08-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Wow, what a great day good job:D

BigDave
08-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Way to go John. Awesome pics. Fish of a lifetime!

Nick
08-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Just awesome. Congrats!

Nick

Bob Pink
08-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Well Done there John! Let the games begin!

DFix
08-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Congrats! Looks like you had a great time!

bcasey
08-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Well done John, I hope to have some pics like that myself in about 24hrs. I'm out of Snug Harbor RI with Capt. Al Anderson on the prowler with David Ross in the morning. Nice 42' Carolina style custom SF. We will be attempting flyrods but I intend to bring the spin rig as well.
Maybe we can trade stories at the boneclave, I hope!:devil:

Striper
08-19-2003, 05:09 PM
John,
Words can't express just how COOOOOL that is and the pics are awesome. I would give almost anything to just see the whales. Now you have to post a pic with a Tuna in one hand and the 14 wt. in the other. Got some more pics back today from the last couple of weeks, got pics of the wifes big fish and some more of my monster. Man that was a big fish. I dropped the fish off today with Boarmountain so that he could work his magic on it. I got to see some of his work and just let me say that if anyone needs a fish done you have to look no further than Mike, his work is second to none. I could see the individual scales of a tiny little trout replica...........that's right replica. He is meticulous. I also saw a bass he did at the Orvis Shop in Darien and if mine comes out as good as that one than I will be happier than a pig in ****! That bass was absolutely perfect. Keep up the good work John, oh I got a call today about a job so things is look up around my stable.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

jimS
08-19-2003, 05:42 PM
John, congratualitions on the hookup/landing. If you get a chance, elaborate on the power and length of time to land one of those awesome fish.

Can't imagine what it would be like on a flyrod. See ya in Sept.

Simms

FredA
08-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Well done John. Between Striblue and Case is there any chance we'll be sampling a bit of sushi at the Boneclave?

striblue
08-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Can't really tell the time...to excited to check..but I figured 20 minutes give or take... the thing can really pull and I was concerned with breaking it off... my partner did lose one just after 2 minutes from the hook up. It took a ton of line off and I had the drag down fairly tight and tried to play it off the reel as much as I could. It went bonkers when it saw the boat and it's tail smacked me in the family jewles as I brought it over... it did not seem that heavy and I did not weigh it... the Bigger one had to be maybe 60 pounds...mine maybe 40 plus. That's a guess though.

BirdFish
08-19-2003, 07:17 PM
What a great day of fishing, John! Way to go!
Dave

FishHawk
08-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Great job and awesome photos. As the kids say You Da Man.:D
FishHawk:smokin:

bcasey
08-20-2003, 05:38 PM
Quick report on My "Tuna Day", John, my luck was not as good as yours, although I did manage a couple of Mahi (my first ever) and a small Skipjack Tuna about 24"s and maybe 5-6#s. We went 45 miles offshore, a bumpy ride out. Ran thru a school of Skipjak and had 5 fish on. I was the only one lucky enough to boat one at this time. We found several more over the next couple of hours but it was spotty, one here and one there. On the way back in we stopped at the highflyers along the way and found plenty of mahi. All but 1 skipjack was caught on the fly!
Tough day, but fun just the same. Better than work!:hehe:

jfbasser
08-20-2003, 06:54 PM
I was with my sons Girlfriend's Dad

With those results you must be trying to talk your son into marriage:D

Quentin
08-20-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by bcasey
. . . I did manage a couple of Mahi (my first ever) . . .

Awesome! That alone makes the trip worthwhile! Got pics?

Q

striblue
08-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Case... I would not say that...I think you had better luck with the Skips.....That sounds like a great day for you... I would love to get a Skip jack..and Mahi...The Skip is a bueatiful fish....and I know guys who get nothing on their trips. Well done... I am afraid I can't make Saturday...wife has left for Boston and I will have to take care of my young daughter..can't leave for such a long day...JF..If that happens we will have fly rods next time :hehe:

juro
08-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Striblue -

Will you be there the other days? Can't have you miss another boneclave!

striblue
08-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Juro, I really want to go...but I am morning bound..I just posted a post on the problem.... I am to meet Craig at 5 am,,,,but I went out with him today and he brought me back early, although I think he felt like he was though also...maybe he or someone else can drop me off and pick up a shorebound guy for the afternoon... just desperate suggestion. But don't foul up existing plans or play chess with this... I don't want to cause inconvience.