Capt. Gordon your Mop Fly pic [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Capt. Gordon your Mop Fly pic

Striper
08-18-2003, 09:20 PM
http://www.fishcontest.com/Mike/TheMopFly.jpg

My friend Al called this fly the Mop and the name has kind of stuck since, but in Kevin's defense I don't know what the real name of the fly is except Shad Fly. It is huge and unfortunately you don't have a reference in this photo but believe me it is giant and the biggest fly I have ever cast. Now I just have to get into the right situation so that I can really put this through it's paces. This fly is going to get me my biggest bass ever on the fly guaranteed.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

slunker
08-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Mark Sedotti, the big fly expert calls it "THE SLUNKER". As you can see, I liked the name. I don't think it should be called the "MOP" because it comes in all different sizes. Funny name though!! k-call.

BigDave
08-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Cool fly...boy that's a lot of super hair! Awesome job on the taper. How is it to cast?

Might want to try Bob Popovic's Cotton Candy too - they are supposedly easy to cast despite their massive size.

slunker
08-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Dave, Thanks for the compliment. Actually, the bulk of the material is slinky hair. I am not familiar with bob pops cotton candy. Would be interested in checking it out. As for casting a fly of this size, it takes quite a bit of skill to cast as of which most large flies are. However, as for the 7" through 10" which are tied more sparse, I have found to be very easy to cast. There is nothing too special about the fly. It's just a high tie low tie. I think with the materials I am using and a combination of different flashes you get a fly that really comes alive in the water. Especially in the 8" size. I have yet to use a better material other than slinky hair for the 7 to 10 inch versions. However, the mixture of flash and slinky hair is key in achieving really lively movement. kevin

capt_gordon
08-20-2003, 11:20 AM
That thing is awesome! Looks like you could get a couple good fillets out of it.:chuckle: On another note, a buddy of mine had king macs busting threadfin herring over a wreck yesterday and hopefully we'll get a chance to get after them on fly tomorrow. I am going to try a polar fiber minnow pattern about 4 inches long. His charter landed 3 out of dozens that hit yesterday on Yozuri Crystal Minnows.