Anybody ever tried tying in the car. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anybody ever tried tying in the car.

JimboJones
08-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Going on a long car trip and I was thinking about trying to tie some flies in the minivan.

Not sure how I can secure my vise.

Anyone ever tried this?

DFix
08-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Minivan equals folding/stacking table; the kind that hangs on a rack, four to the rack, or a small lap size wooden tying platform, as seen at shows or in magazines. Most vises have a 3/8" pedestal shank which accommodates a bench clamp for table edges. Some premade lap benches/tables have a recess for the pedestal base of your vise and a hole for just the pedestal or a side rail to clamp to.

You most likely thought of those things yourself. But, what's more the question - comfortable, efficient use of the space in the 'family value minivan' or just fixing the vise to an object to hold it?

You could always screw a couple nylon straps to a piece of plywood to hang off the back of one of the seats; fix a pvc pipe cap to the bottom of a piece of plywood to receive a disconnected pvc pedestal; make a pair of hangers to go between a window and it's gasket; those are just thoughts which came to mind while I was typing.

I just don't like tying while using the steering wheel as the support.

Slinger
08-18-2003, 11:52 PM
It better be a smooth road!
Slinger

steelheadmike
08-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Take a piece of Plywood (1/2 inch ) attach two velcro straps on the bottom to fit your legs... wala.. instant table while you're in the passenger seat. Another idea ( didnt do this myself but would have saved me cleaning out the car ) use a hot glue gun to attach an old Tshirt or some other material to the plywood so it acts as a catch for the excess material. Attach it to the side closest to you and lay the material up on to your stomach. When finished tying just sweep the scraps onto the "bib". Ever notice how fly tying materials stick to clothes like a magnet? There ya have it ..... quick easy and you have the stuff laying around the house to make. If you dont want to spend any money at all... use old rope in place of velcro straps. Worked for me.

kush
08-28-2003, 03:07 PM
I drove around the Cape at warp speed with Juro last summer and noticed that he had his vice between the front seats of his truck. He claimed that when he was in a rush coming down from Boston that he tied a few sandeels while cruisin' - he is the Ninja Master :whoa:

saltydog
09-07-2003, 09:07 AM
jimbojones, I have your answer I have 6 left they were $39.95
an are $25.00 ea they came w/ a clamp to attach to any arm chair an beach chair, slots for tools, an thread, an place to clamp ona vise,it is made out of OAK.great for sitting on the beach w/ the wife an still be able to tie, an does attract outher tiers, any way if your interested just e-mail.

ashley
09-07-2003, 12:54 PM
when I'm at work,while out delivering,I sometimes tie between the drops.I have the vice clamped to a board across my legs and bits can also be laid on the board.